Win10 Install From Dvd

Crash

• 1. DDz Quorum

I phoned Microsoft, well they phoned me after I went through their web support options.

Nice chap from India entered a new key, Windows 10 Pro now activated.

Cost?

Zero apart from 15 minutes or so watching him use logme in :)

• 2. Administrators

So I have changed my HDD configuration (swapped my RAIDed SSDs for a single larger SSD) and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the USB key method - Previous installation was Win 10 Pro upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate. Completely vanilla install with no codes entered at any point.

post-406-0-40795200-1448832633_thumb.png

So it would appear that the activation does not always have a problem - perhaps it's dependant on how much of the hardware is changed or maybe the HDD config is not part of the checks.

• 1. DDz Quorum

So I have changed my HDD configuration (swapped my RAIDed SSDs for a single larger SSD) and reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using the USB key method - Previous installation was Win 10 Pro upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate. Completely vanilla install with no codes entered at any point.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

So it would appear that the activation does not always have a problem - perhaps it's dependant on how much of the hardware is changed or maybe the HDD config is not part of the checks.

Or using a technet serial because I am tight causes issues ;)

I moved my  "My Documents" folder to my backup drive so as not to loose stuff if/when it goes tits up, but it seems to have "re-spawned" and I have now decided to stop fighting and let everything such as Elite Dangerous install where it wants to. As this folder contains the IC softclub for CloD I have a bad feeling about CloD not working :(

• 2. Administrators

Seriously, there is no need to worry. If you are upgrading from 7/8 to 10 the upgrade process works flawlessly. In my case apart from the joystick problems, which were caused by me, everything else was exactly where I left it and all the software was also working as before. A backup is a sensible precaution regardless but you won't need it. The worst that might happen is that you need to remap your controllers axes/buttons but that's a five minute job to sort anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2. Administrators

You'll probably need to anyway given that you've had a cpu and mobo change. I'd install 7 first, set it up the way you want it and then upgrade to 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win7, TS, Target, TrackIR, Clod, Elite installed and working :) now being backed to to a spare drive, after a few problems with the latest Nvidia driver messing up Target and the window manager. I will test this out for a couple or so days and then maybe go to Win10

I tried the iso way, it installed to a point and wanted the key. I didn't have the key, so it reset itself back to Win7 and I let it upgrade via the web. It took all night while I slept with my connection speed.

I kept teh ISO on DVD, hoping to get a key for it to work off disc, if I need to reload it later. I'm at a loss on how to get the key.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I tried the iso way, it installed to a point and wanted the key. I didn't have the key, so it reset itself back to Win7 and I let it upgrade via the web. It took all night while I slept with my connection speed.

I kept teh ISO on DVD, hoping to get a key for it to work off disc, if I need to reload it later. I'm at a loss on how to get the key.

When updating from a legal Windows 7/8 installation, one does not need to enter any key... It either should not ask you for it at all, or there's a 'Skip' option available... 

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

You would likely need to upgrade first TOAD - the key is then built (inside the software) based on the hardware in the machine. You can then subsequently re-install windows from the ISO, skip the key entry and it automatically activates itself once you reconnect to the web. The jury is still out on what happens if you change the hardware in the machine and reinstall, as some people have had to get a replacement key from MS support whereas I changed my boot HDD and didn't need to.

• Like 1