Win10 Install From Dvd

Crash

• 2. Administrators

As I said - provided you have upgraded once if then you subsequently want to reinstall your OS (at some point in the future) you can format the drive and use the iso without needing to install 7 first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Not heard those, but there must be a way to resolve it - a new license just cos you've upgraded the PC? If that was the case I'd reinstall 7 - do the upgrade and then away you go.

Chances are that won't work as MS knows you've upgraded your license to 10 already ...

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm going to be making a change to the hardware setup in my rig at the end of this month - That would really be the acid test. When it doesn't work I'll be sure to let you know FT!

Note that I only mentioned the changing of CPU and/or HD ... only those two will/may lead to licensing issues ... 

I just upgraded my mobo, memory, and cpu.  And I then did a clean install of Win10 Home x64.  I skipped the activation until I was all installed.  Then the nightmare started.  Well, not nightmare, but it just did not work.

At first it said my Windows 7 key was 'blocked'.  So, I finally got on chat with MS Support, and after about 2 hours and a new big windows updated they said it should now accept my key after the reboot.  Bye..  So they were done with me.  And it did not work.

Luckily, Raj called back about a half hour later to see if it worked.  I told him no.. Now it says that my key is 'in use' on another computer.  So, he tried for another half hour.  He brought in his manager I think and then they finally gave up and just gave me a brand new Win 10 Home key.  Now I'm fine.

So, it is supposed to work.  And it probably will for most people.  But my Windows 7 key had issues.  Even when I used it 6 years ago to installed.  (I needed help from MS Support then as well..)

PS: MS Support had desktop control of my computer most of the time.  I normally don't trust people that I do not know doing that.  So after they were all done, and I had the new key.  I re-installed Windows 10 from scratch.  A new clean install with that new key and it worked fine.

It was an upgrade. I have the box & DVD.

The original key had issues. They had me run some backend app and put in a 'passcode' that they created to make it work.. I kept notes, and tried that this time with the 7 key too. But that didn't work. So that's when I contacted support..

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk.

• 1. DDz Quorum

There is a difference between OEM and retail versions of Win 7 and upgrade ability post 10, OEM is tied to the hardware, retail is not.

About to find out for myself today, replacing son's mobo and will have fingers crossed.

Will report back (my win7 keys are all technet so *should* be retail equivalents... ho hum).