Upgrade Of Cpu 2 Core To Quad Core

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hello

To improve the performance of my machine I am thinking of replacing my CPU.

The mother board is an Asus P5N-D (BIOS version 1401) with currently an Intel Duo Core running 3.33ghz

I am think of getting a quad core (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650) running at 3.00ghz 12mb L2 cache

The board seems to support this change but is it worth it? (The cpu's only seem to be on ebay etc - seen one for £65 and thinking of taking a punt)

As always I trust and respect the advice from those that know............

Salute

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hm, I am not too sure a whether a 4 core would do you much good performance wise versus a 2 core, especially when the 2 core as a higher clock speed.

Will depend maybe on what you use it for, like IL2 1946 only uses one core... so... probably no benefits there!

Assuming the 2 core is an E8600 .... see this comparison

They are of the same age and generation... the only thing the Q has over the E is that is has 4 cores... but, will you be using them? 

That's the big Q ...

Oh, I see the Q is 'unlocked', that means you can 'easily' overclock it... lol. That might help, though it will depend on both your motherboard quality, and your memory modules quality :)

So, if you you have some considerate amount of spare time, and think over clocking could be fun, and you are up to that, go for it, get the Q, and start OC-ing... but be prepared to have hours and hours of fun, and every now and then (well, to be honest, more now than then) hours and hours of frustration  :shaunhb:  :shaunhb:  :shaunhb:  :shaunhb:  :shaunhb:

:angry4:  :angry4:  :angry4:

Edit: You may need to check aftermarket CPU cooling solutions, if you do decide to go that OC route... you would not want it to burn itself out, ey bubba!

Edited by FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

That is interesting Arthur......

Was it a complicated process and what did you go from and to?

Did you have to buy more memory?

The perfformance would be nice for the racing sim, and when, eventually I get to CLOD.....

Check this out m8;

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/10946-will-i-have-to-reload-windows/

It was really simple.  Windows7 sorted it all out and I merely had to re-register my copy with Microsoft.  No problems.

I run with 12 gigs of ram though really 8 is enough.  I've been really pleased with the results.  The big difference was in how it made RoF run as - at the time - it was the only game I had that was designed for quad cores.  It made a bigger difference than upgrading my gfx card.  Everything was smoother, faster. 

I ended up overclocking it even more up to the 3.8ghz it runs at now.   I wasn't difficult, I made a YouTube search for my chip and found loads of useful stuff.

Dosen't CoD run o.k though?  It was designed for single/dual core cpu.  

• 2. Administrators

The most important thing by far Col is to ensure you make a backup of your stuff before you go anywhere near a screwdriver. I've never been able to install a new mobo or cpu without having to go down the route of a fresh install despite the fact that some people seem to manage it!