3D Modeling

rox

Back in February I started learning Cinema 4D. The scope of this program (and others like it) and its possibilities are insane, I still cannot believe that human beings made something like this.

Anyway, after the mug I made in February, which was my first ever 3D project...

G5pCYpQ.jpg

...today I finished something much more complicated. It's a replica of the Yugoslav M48 bayonet that I own. Took me a good 1-4 hours per (most) day(s) of modeling and tutorial watching for the last three weeks. Anyway, this is it. A few small modeling mistakes in 2-3 places, but nothing that most people not into the field would notice.

quqdl7G.jpg

l7jB4xL.png

XDARfBi.png

A few more models and then I'll start working on my first big thing - I want to model a Polish PZL P.11 plane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool!  I've always wanted to learn how to do 3D Modeling, but the tools are just too expensive.  And I didn't want to get a bootleg copy.

I look at it this way - if I didn't do it the way I do, I wouldn't buy the real thing anyway as I don't have money, so no one is at a loss really.

It's very fun to learn this, if also very time consuming. That being said, from what I've read on 3D forums, C4D is preferred over Maya, its chief competitor, especially for single artists (not sure if artist is the right word but oh well) as the workflow is a lot more streamlined and less time consuming in some cases, and it's a bit easier to get a hang of while being pretty much just as powerful as Maya. Maya is still the industry standard though, more out of the industry's conservativeness (C4D is a lot newer than Maya) than out of actual merit.

Still work in progress. Built a shack and then dropped a rock on it using features of C4D's built in dynamic physics engine. Sub-polygon displacement for the broken wood effect and soft body physics for the bendy roof. This is SO much fun.

12079818_10207257143763407_9659572797732

12120098_10207257146243469_6719157605961

Made the shack into a 3 second video as well

Three seconds because after that the roof starts doing crazy things like inflating uncontrollably to over the size of the shack itself, I have yet to refine the whole soft body physics responsible for its bending. I will tweak this scene more over time, add some glass to the windows and a hinged door as well...

• 1. DDz Quorum

lol... building stuff, then destroying it... I used to do that IRL 3D when I was a kid, lol... lots of stuff got built from the ground up... only to be destroyed later.. thanks Rox for making me relive that for a bit!

Plasticine..

Used to spend an age constructing intricate 'spaceships' including the control panels and occupants then 'crashing' them and doing an autopsy of sorts.

I should have had a therapist, probably still need one now...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Happy holidays!

15625959_10210853765916713_2266162123009

I'm making this cow (that was originally supposed to be a dog but ended up looking more like a cow, which sealed its future) as a simple way to dip my toe into everything that goes into making an animated character (modelling, texturing, rigging and animation) and yesterday spontaneously decided to put some Christmas lights on it for no reason other than the current time of the year (and to create some illumination eye candy).

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

:):)

I'm very close to buying a 3D printer, so many things I would like to make.

Being able to drive a CAD setup helps of course, as does the fact that I was a manufacturing engineer once upon a time..

First project will likely be an ABS gear to repair the foot pedal adjuster in my car, then there are joystick ideas I have!

• Like 2