Ssd Problems

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Hello chaps,

As some of you may know I run a pair of SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration as my system drive. This setup has run without any problems for over a year now. Just recently however I've started to have some peculiar issues when booting the machine and over the last couple of days this has got much worse with the PC now only successfully booting around 50% of the time (get boot errors otherwise) and I've also had some BSOD issues when the machine does boot successfully too. All of this leads me to think that there may be a problem with one or both of the SSDs (other less likely alternatives being PSU, mobo or  or cpu). I've done some testing and none of the hardware seems to have a problem so does anyone know of some good utilities for testing my SSDs or have any thoughts about what to do next?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Take a look at your Sata cables... Maybe even replace them with new ones...

I've heard these symptoms come up and Sata cable replacement was the fix.

I must say this was on a brand new machine, and after 18 months or so, this guy finally found the culprit(s).

So, there are bad sata cables around, whether they can start out fine and go bad, I dunno.

Still, it appears as a simple fix to try...

• 2. Administrators

It's a possibility I'm willing to consider Sid, but if that's the case it's probably the '0's that are causing the problem on account of being...you know...fatter.

Anyway I've changed the cables and there's no improvement - on the other hand I am seeing a pattern - each time I start the machine it fails with the 'no boot device' error and if I then Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart it, it'll boot correctly. This sequence repeats every time I've restarted the machine (10-15 times this morning).

When I finally get to the windows desktop I get a further error about the Windows Group Policy Client not starting - Now this doesn't cause me a problem in itself as I'm logged in as a local admin but is it indicative of something else?

Do you have a backup of your Raid0 drives?  Or a dual boot setup?

I have a backup of my Raid0, but not a dual boot at the moment.  But that sounds like a good idea just for figuring out this kind of problem since it would not take much space..  

• 2. Administrators

The machine boots from DVD or USB key just fine - the primary problem is that although I have used linux (ubuntu) a bit, I don't know how to do any sort of hardware tests using the OS. Any pointers?

+++EDIT+++ Such an idiot - my old friend UBCD (well, the latest version anyway) will probably help me here.

UBCD! good thinking! i've forgot about it totally. Although you could have driver problems with it. At least the version i have is quite old.

As far as linux goes, i also do not know any advanced way to stress the system. Usually i go through different apps and games that are come with it and see how the system behaves. Some distros have some kind of stress tests (3D, CPU, MEM, disk ) included. Did not do that for some time so could not remember exactly which distros. Ubuntu, Linux Mint would be my first choices. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Perplexing indeed.

Have you tried a CMOS factory reset?

The delights of RAID 0 where no parity exists, and either drive having issues will result in meltdown.

http://knoppix.net/ has a disk test utility too, and is frequently updated.

Have turned on SMART reporting in BIOS too?

• 2. Administrators

Thanks guys.

I know the risks Rog but I was prepared to take my chances - anyway according to today's tests the drives, memory and CPU are all OK so I'm beginning to think mobo - I have done a factory reset but no change so next step is a BIOS update

+++EDIT+++ Have also run sfc /scannow - no errors found

• 2. Administrators

BIOS update has fixed the problem so I assume that there has either been a firmware upgrade on the ssds or the old bios had developed a fault. All good now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1