Which Way Did He Go.....which Way Did Who Go

CaptJackG

Loverly.  Absolutely, positively, over the top, superb, and worth every second of waiting.  And yet...

Okay, I've a question.

Yay for our proprietary flight modeling system, which allows us to:

"The F-14 will built upon our proprietary component based flight modeling system...This will allow us to simulate the forces acting upon the aircraft at any given flight regime or aircraft configuration... we can easily introduce advanced features such as variable geometry wings or glove vanes and have them yield realistic results."

But...

"Both -A and -B model Tomcats will be included in the DCS: F-14. We are aiming for a mid 80’s model -A Tomcat, and mid-90s’ -B. This, for example, means that the Glove Vanes will be disabled on both models, while other improvements (Engine, Control Systems & More) will differ."

Wait, what?  Why even develop them (the glove vanes) if they aren't going to be used, and in fact purposely disabled, on either (both) model(s)?  Perhaps for a later "upgrade/update" to the ultimate F-14D?  And what's with the "It is possible that we will expand the available ordinance or equipment after release to encompass more of the F-14’s later capability."?

Maybe I'm just picking nits, as I'd take an 80's A model any day, but some of this reads kinda funny.  If it's an 80's A, or a mid 90's B, and they didn't have glove vanes, then they didn't have them, not "they've been disabled".  Meh.  Pick, pick, wonder, wonder.  D model?

It'll be interesting to find out what terminal wing rock is all about.

Either way, definitely worth the wait.

• 1. DDz Quorum

D models glove vanes were deleted and RHAWS antennae installed in their place AFAIK - they were found to be superfluous (designed to both limit the extra stability incurred at supersonic speeds and relieve the tailerons of some load) after experience in service, so they were locked shut and the actuators physically removed from the airframe to save some weight.

It does seem odd that the A variant does not feature them - unless they were deactivated in '83/'84 in which case it would make sense. Perhaps the Letherneck designed the 3D model with them and started the FM work with them included but when the ultimate decision was arrived at which eras to focus on then they became redundant?

Hmmm, well, I'm not the in depth fan I once was, knowing every nut and bolt, and when it was put on/taken off, etc., so I'll take your word for it.

Of course, VF-41, when they were doing all their groundbreaking bombing in Kosovo, were doing it in the oldest A models in the fleet, if I understand correctly.  Seems kinda strange that one of the last, most capable, units in the fleet would be flying the oldest jets, though I understand that the Ds had some serious added capabilities.

• 4 months later...

I shall get on my glove vane soap box again...

This whole video's worth a watch, obviously this guy knows his stuff.  Looks like he worked on them, initial design on up.  Some really nice "this is why it was done this way" information.

Check out 18:07.  He specifically points out why the glove vane was an advantage in A2A despite being specificly developed for A2G.

32:20 is weapon loads.

13:55 is the F-14D

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Keep in mind, this instruction seems to be 1970's based, with the "behind the wing line in order to effect a shot" mentality.  Decidedly different from the previous post and the advent in the late 1970's and early 1980's all aspect missiles.

• 2 weeks later...