Rof 70% Sale - 25 May - 1 June 2015

Hi Jabo,

Nice to hear from you...

I'm yet to make a start on ROF having bought the Iron Cross version following our previous conversation.

The 70% sale tempts you to buy the planes until you do the sums after adding everything including the 'optional' modifications packs for each plane to your basket.

Then the gulp... 72 squids!

So, I removed all the mod packs and it shaves a bit off... well 46 squids now... arghhhhhh

Stands back, has a re-think and quickly empties the basket!

Please bear in mind I haven't loaded the original game yet... too busy with DCSW, CLOD, etc etc

Dunno what to do... hate to miss a bargain (recent DCS one cost me a packet).... 

I'm a sucker....

:)

But, I don't smoke, drink little and constantly remind myself there ain't no shops in heaven!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Jabo,

Nice to hear from you...

I'm yet to make a start on ROF having bought the Iron Cross version following our previous conversation.

The 70% sale tempts you to buy the planes until you do the sums after adding everything including the 'optional' modifications packs for each plane to your basket.

Then the gulp... 72 squids!

So, I removed all the mod packs and it shaves a bit off... well 46 squids now... arghhhhhh

Stands back, has a re-think and quickly empties the basket!

Please bear in mind I haven't loaded the original game yet... too busy with DCSW, CLOD, etc etc

Dunno what to do... hate to miss a bargain (recent DCS one cost me a packet).... 

I'm a sucker....

:)

But, I don't smoke, drink little and constantly remind myself there ain't no shops in heaven!

Brilliant thinkin'...

But please do remember that it's all easy and simples, as basically, there's only one game, and that's IL2 Shturmovik 1946!

The rest is moot!

Meaning: this 46 thinghy costs next to nothing, especially when looking at content... and, minor major detail, it still is what we fly the most!

Oh, yeah, why have you been around so little then? You've missed an awesome amount of fun online, be sure!

:shaunhb:  :shaunhb:  :shaunhb:

Hi FT,

Nice to hear from you too...

There's a very good reason why I haven't been around much lately... it's because I got into a spot of trouble with the wife after sawing the legs off the kitchen table to make some pedals like yours - LOL

Nah... only joking... I been 'off the air' whilst upgrading my rig and of course ran into some issues. Then, once everything was back up and running, I got drawn into DCSW and have since been trying to balance my time between DCSW and CLOD whilst also making some custom 'touchscreen' profiles for my favourite planes.

Heading back online real soon... like tomorrow (all being well)

I didn't realise there are so many planes available in ROF...

This damn sale is soooo tempting...

Two questions:

What's the most popular planes?

Are the 'optional' modification packs worth the extra money?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Most popular planes? Who cares? Optional modpacks? Pay for them? WTF?

The only one really you need is the Brisfit... it's like WW1's Shturmovik .... nuff said ...

(Just jankin' yer chain, although in honesty... yes, next to the stock planes the Brisfit is what will make you a hero ... )

Slicker; if you haven't actually tried RoF yet then I would not worry too much about this sale.  They happen about three times a year so another one will be along soon enough.

You have a copy of the Iron Cross edition?  I take it you haven't tried installing it yet?  My advice; don't bother.  I started with the Iron Cross edition which was fine but that was nearly five years ago.  The game has had a great many major updates since then and if you install the disc version it will then want to download a hefty series of patches going back four and a half years.  This can be an, er...unreliable process.

Much better to visit the official RoF website and download the free to play version you will see advertised there.  When you download this version you will be limited to only two planes with cockpits; the Albatross DVa and the SpadXII.  However, the free to play download is in fact the full game with all the planes.

You then enter the code that came with your Iron Cross edition and you will be good to go with all the planes in your Iron Cross edition.  See how you get on as I can guarantee that for the first week or so you won't be able to hit a cow in a corridor with your guns.  The two best planes to learn on are the SE5a and the DVa.

I think it took me two weeks to be able to fly the Camel in a straight line!  As for weapon and field mods; the only one which is a must have is the top wing cut out for the Camel.  The rest of 'em?  When you can fly, fight and do a loop in the Camel or Fokker DR1 then I'd say it's time to entertain the idea of extra planes - which will be just in time for the next sale! :salute:   

• Like 1

DD_Arthur,

Thanks for your advice - mine may be a strange one... I paid for the 'Iron Cross' edition off a site which then emailed a key to me. I downloaded the game off the ROF site, tried to apply the 'key' and ran into problems - it was still a demo version. I emailed ROF, they confirmed the 'key' was legitimate and did 'something at their end' which removed the 'demo'. The game now loads fine although I must say I don't find the menu system very intuitive and it's taken me a while to find what planes I actually have - there's ten of them. Now, when I log onto the ROF site and go to the store, it shows I only only two planes. I emailed ROF again, this time asking what was going on with my planes and they stated that I have access to everything included in the 'Iron Cross' edition although these planes may not show up as 'purchased' in the ROF store ... does this sound right?

Snacko,

Good news these sales come round regularly, no urgency to react then... might resist temptation this time and try the planes I already own when I get a bit of spare time... you've also made another good point... I might not like the slower pace!