Clod Revision - Take Off Procedure For Raf Fighters

Absolutely BRILLIANT... this is what newbies like me really appreciate... this provides some great practical tips and also answers a question I raised only the other day... wind... no, not with the doctor but with a another flyer... I was aware it is desirable to take-off and land 'into wind'. I had noted that only one side of the boards are painted and assumed this is to indicate which direction you should fly but I hadn't noticed the windsocks. I really appreciate you taking the time to prepare this tutorial... crystal clear video quality and very concise commentary - very well done!

I would add to this. When you spawn in your elevator trim is neutral. There is a gauge on the lower left of dashboard. 

Trim nose down a few notches before you roll and it will keep the left wing from dropping when the plane tries to lift off prematurely. You will have to pull back on the stick when you reach flying speed to get airborne but you'll be more stable.

• Like 1

Perfesser,

Thank you for mentioning this tip.

I'm going to try this out because I have been experiencing the very issue you have outlined and just thought this was something a more experienced pilot would counteract by slightly moving the stick to the right. I have been trying to do what I thought was correct but with mixed results - can't wait to try out your advice - I'll report back soon!

Actually when you're near stall speed you want to use rudder to pick up a low wing, not aileron.

You're right on the edge of a stall when a wing drops, you don't want to disturb the airflow even more by flapping your ailerons about. :salute:

I'm sure a bit of nose down trim will help your situation.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Whilst I agree in aerodynamic principal with Perfs suggestion, I would suggest that it is better to practise moving the stick to neutral (centre) position as you pick up speed, rather than trim nose down. Why? If you have any exponential set on your elevator, it's going to mean you are moving it into an area that is more sensitive and you'll have less fine control as a result as you try to rotate the a/c to flying attitude to leave the ground - this could (and I say could because it depends on the level of curve set in the controls) result in an inadvertent stall if you don't have a very sensitive feel for the elevator.

For my takeoffs I personally follow this particular sequence:

1) Stick aft when taxi-ing or at stationary

2) Power to 50% to initiate roll

3) Right rudder - enough to compensate for torque dragging nose left

4) Small amount of right stick to compensate (this will vary with strength of any crosswind component)

5) As speed picks up beyond running pace, throttle up to 100%

6) More right rudder to compensate

7) Stick steadily to neutral

8.) Lessen right rudder and right stick input as speed increases

9) Nose will automatically tend to drop as speed picks up and tail starts to fly - can be helped with some very slight forward stick; just a breath!

10) When tail wheel is off ground hold stick in neutral till speed >90mph

11) Gently lift nose - and I mean gently, does not need much asking at all!

12) Voila! You are airborne!

13) Gear up

14) Reduce revs to 2800 (~84% Prop pitch)

15) Do not immediately attempt to climb steeply; let your speed build into a very shallow climb (sufficient to be avoiding such inconveniences as trees, buildings, high ground, NBA basketball players, etc) and don't start climbing proper till you have at least 150mph on the clock. Best climb in the Spit or Hurri is ~160-170mph Indicated Air Speed, you should be looking for a climb angle at which your plane can hold this speed. You'll need to trim the rudder to reduce the effect of torque induced wing drop at these speeds but it's easy once you have the hang of it.

This is not a do-it-this-way-or-die thing (except for point 15 - I would recommend everybody adopts this approach to climb out); Perfs suggestion certainly has mileage, and ultimately, whichever works for you is the way to go.

• Like 2

Thanks guys... I did say I'd do a few tests and report back. Well, for me the 'trim nose down two notches' seems to work well - I will also try using the rudder instead of aileron when things are starting to go pear shaped. Last week Fen taught me how to recover from a high altitude stallI (using rudder and throttle) and I've been practising this too. Thanks Fen (for the take-off check list) - another (copy/paste) keepsake!