A320 Crash

Kira

"The Germanwings A320 lost radio contact with air traffic controllers over the southern French Alps during a seemingly routine flight Tuesday from Barcelona, Spain, to Duesseldorf, Germany, before crashing, killing all 150 on board."

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/25/american-crash-victims-include-us-government-contractor-daughte/21157506/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D633278

More news:

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/25/the-latest-report-says-1-pilot-locked-out-before-crash/21157659/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D633562

Apparently just a nutcase. If it were terrorism surely he would have left a message behind, and tried to slam the plane into a settlement.

God only knows what went on in the mind of this guy.

Looks like Europe was behind the 8 ball with regards to two people in the cockpit at all times, as the US has been doing since 2001.  I wonder if, and how quickly, that'll change as a result of this.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/26/official-1-pilot-locked-out-of-crash-plane-cockpit/21157765/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D633802

When is it going to be mandated by powers that have the true ability to do so that people who wish to kill themselves just kill themselves and leave everyone else out of it?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Looks like Europe was behind the 8 ball with regards to two people in the cockpit at all times, as the US has been doing since 2001.  I wonder if, and how quickly, that'll change as a result of this.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/26/official-1-pilot-locked-out-of-crash-plane-cockpit/21157765/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D633802

When is it going to be mandated by powers that have the true ability to do so that people who wish to kill themselves just kill themselves and leave everyone else out of it?

Please, I'd rather run the risk, than have all them 'Merican 'rules', behaviours, and wotnots over here already... sure it will happen in the end, but let us please enjoy our feeling of 'freedom' while it lasts... as long as possible! (Oh Carp, we're already there.... I'll just keep on not realising... la lal lla llal lla  lalala)

Thanks!

If it was a random, psychotic episode then it highlights the need for there to be a second person in the cockpit at all times - just the same as protection against terrorism. It seems pretty obvious that this guy just flipped, similar to those sad cases where people (usually men) decide that that they need to kill their children as well as themselves. Maybe regular psychological examinations of people in such responsible positions is called for.

• 1. DDz Quorum

If it was a random, psychotic episode then it highlights the need for there to be a second person in the cockpit at all times - just the same as protection against terrorism. It seems pretty obvious that this guy just flipped, similar to those sad cases where people (usually men) decide that that they need to kill their children as well as themselves. Maybe regular psychological examinations of people in such responsible positions is called for.

Hardly...

If you want to prevent each and every nastyness from occuring, then be prepared: Each and every 'human' will have a 'robot' alongside him/her. 

For protection, both ways.

You included.

That's why I choose freedom ... and accept the nastyness... And yes, it will be getting worse.

Oh well...

*In this case, the guy may have flipped, but he might have planned it all the way as well... You can't tell*

You get to be free when your dead FT, in the meantime just shut up and do what your told!!!!! :P

No way BA!

I am free now, as free as I dare feel.

When I'm dead, there's no more me.

I mean, dying is like going to sleep, and never wake up no more.... :)  

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Right now the only opinion that counts about what to do next is the opinion of those who have lost sons, daughters, loved ones IMHO.

I hope I never find out how that feels when it's murder !

FT, you will be back after you die M8, probably as an American LOL

P.

• Like 1

Lol, FT. Don't insult poor Gec like that! I however am a US citizen and I am quite familiar with the concept of freedom, but I have not seen it practiced sucessfully in my lifetime save for a eight short years in the eighties (and that only in part). Alas I think we may be walking a bit close to the brink here.........That said, true freedom sort of borders on anarchy a little bit, in that it relies on the majority of a given populace to be law abiding and reasonable citizens willingly. Unfortunately when you raise up several generations of narcisistic, entitled, whining shits, the whole idea kind of falls apart. (Especially when said shits are running the country).

• Like 1

I'm wit FT philosophically. Shit happens, but as long as the chances of it happening to you or your loved ones are extremely miniscule (and with plane crashes and terrorism in the west in general they are), best to just go on with your life, or if not then start bothering about walking in the street because, yunno, car exhaust and sunshine cause cancer, among other harmful everyday things. In the end you can't really prevent being randomly picked by fate as a freak accident target, so it's just best to move along and resign your mind to the fact that well, if it happens, it happens. Even when stuff was blowing up in Lebanon every month a year ago, I had my plane ticket in my pocket, as the chances of being caught in some explosion that happens once a month and kills a few people mostly in Beirut's southern neighborhoods where I had no intention of going to anyway was many many times smaller than just being killed in everyday middle-eastern insha'allah traffic. (in the end I scrapped that trip because I got a volunteering thing in Azerbaijan)

That being said I don't see why not put two people in the cockpit at all times, it's not really any kind of "sacrifice" as far as freedom goes.

That being said I don't see why not put two people in the cockpit at all times, it's not really any kind of "sacrifice" as far as freedom goes.

You say that 'till you have to take a leak real bad! I in general agree as well. (of course my reasonable consessions to the balance of freedom to reality includes strapping a pistol to my hip every morning). 

From what I gather from what I've heard (and I place little faith in the news media), this particular fellow got a psychological examination that declared him unfit to fly, but he ripped it up and no one was the wiser. My doctor and I had a conversation about this this morning and we were in kind of a stalemate, because if a guy knows that he may be declared incompetent to do his job he may never report his condition or do everything in his power to hide it. It's such a massive grey area, it seems to defy reasonable resolution.

• 2. Administrators

Actually, following his initial psychological problem was treated he was re-tested and passed with 'flying colours' to quote the organisation concerned. However it has also been said that there was a sick note covering the time of the flight which had been torn up. My guess would be that he had relapsed and was at risk of losing his job so was covering it up as best he could.

It would appear that a number of European airlines are now going down the route of two people in the cockpit at all times (some were already doing this anyway). I am more concerned though why if the door can be opened from the outside by following the correct procedure why this wasn't done by the pilot outside rather than trying to break the door down.

However it happened it's a tragedy and all the more so if it was deliberate.

My goodness, Sven! This is at best poor timing. I shall have to relieve you of your tile of "Commie Bastard" and consider you amognst my "Gun toting, gap tothed, flannel wearing, sister kissing" friends. I'm dissapointed. Or not.

They can open it from the outside, with the code "unless" it is over-ridden from the inside.  Then it can not be opened from the outside.  Just in case the bad guys know the code etc.  This is all good as long as you only have good guys in the cockpit.  The safety features can be a double edged sword in the right circumstances.

My goodness, Sven! This is at best poor timing. I shall have to relieve you of your tile of "Commie Bastard" and consider you amognst my "Gun toting, gap tothed, flannel wearing, sister kissing" friends. I'm dissapointed. Or not.

Sorry that I upset you ol pal. Above photo was taken from Independent and you can read more about it here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germanwings-orders-get-ready-to-be-surprised-adverts-be-removed-from-london-underground-stations-hours-after-crash-10138230.html

And here: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/alps-plane-crash-germanwings-airline-pulls-get-ready-to-be-surprised-adverts-from-london-tube-stations-10138431.html

And here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/germanwings-plane-crash-airline-removes-5409583

And many other places. I will remain being a "commie bastard" lol.