Pc Replacement And Windows 10

Kira

"Doesn't it have a reset to factory defaults setting/function?"

Yup.  But the factory settings were uber-bright. What little I know about monitors, and LCD monitors in particular, the brightness seems to be hardwired somehow.  I'll keep looking though.  Needless to say, methinks 250 is a bit much!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I understand, Arthur.  I also now get that there are certain things that one should not buy sight unseen, as sight of exactly how they operate is critical.  I'm back on my CRT now and it just feels... better.  I can tell, having the higher definition and become aware of such things, that my initial thoughts of "bad color" were incorrect, yet still, there's a "smoothness" to ye old CRT image that just wasn't in that LCD image.  Of course, that could entirely have to do with the sharpness of the LCD that brought the specific inconsistencies into focus.  Now I'm back to debating on weather it really was all that bad.  But the brightness.  Just, echk.  Brightness of image, that when I turned down the monitor, it just looked like a overly-dark image rather than "correct".  I think I'll be returning it tomorrow anyway, and seeing if they have something similar (or better yet, the same) to see, while it's on, against others.  And maybe even talk myself into getting something slightly bigger, assuming there's a sale on.

• 2. Administrators

You'll probably find that your crt monitor is what is out rather than the lcd. Specifically, it is dim. I had a similar situation with the last monitor I bought. As soon as I connected it (given that I now run two monitors) I realised that the old one had a distinct yellow cast so what I thought was white really wasn't. I splashed out on some color calibration software and yes, the new monitor was spot on and the old one was waaay out.

Re jaggies. Yes lcd monitors are much sharper than crt ones. Don't mistake fuzzy images for smooth ones. To minimise the effect, make sure that 1) you're running at the native resolution for the monitor (it'll be the factory default), 2) if it's less than 1080 in the vertical axis I would really try to get something else and 3) use the geforce software to alter the settings of the card. That's more likely to fix the issue rather than changing the monitor (apart from 2) above)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, well, it's 1600x900 native.  I'd assume the "900" to be the vertical on a widescreen such as this is.  Got together with Jack and AP last night and they sorted me out as to Nvidia software per my graphics card and it worked, got the screen where I want it. 

I'd thought, when I bought the monitor, that it was:

A. 20" and maximum resolution 1600x900 or

less likely, that I'd bought the smaller one with higher resolution:

B. 19.5" and maximum resolution of 1440x1024, 1440x1080, or 1600x1024.  Whatever a step up from 1600x900 is.

Not sure exactly what happened now as it appears I didn't save the bookmark (!).  Either way, I'm convinced that, while it works fine, I didn't get what I thought I was getting.  I could have sworn I went with one or the other, and instead I got a

C. 19.5" with maximum resolution of 1600x900.  Just measured it with my trusty tape measure, and sure enough, the diagonal viewable screen width is 19.5", just like it said on the box.

• 2. Administrators

20" widescreen monitors tend to be 1600x900 (at least my spare is). 22" and up tend to be 1920x1080, I'd go for this if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, that's where I made my mistake.  Well, I'm still within the window to return it, and baring problems will probably be doing so Sunday.  I think 1920x1080 on a 20-22" was what I was thinking, but somehow missed.  Probably had to do with price.  I've since discovered that that extra resolution is worth the extra money.  Might have to wait for a sale, though, so I'm not spending literally twice what I did for this one for that extra 2.5" and extra resolution.  Okay, it's a much better monitor, but still, twice is a bit steep.

Looks like 5ms refresh rate is the standard.  Should I be looking for something a little quicker, like 4 or 3?

... Annnnd I'm now looking at one that was exactly what I probably should have gotten in the first place.  Nothing wrong with this one, mind, just that for a bit more, ($20), I'd get the extra 2.5" and 1920x1080.  Yup, methinks that is what I was after.  Hummm...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9563164&CatId=2775