Well it has been a busy couple weeks for me. I have been dealing with real life situations and some computer hardware issues.

First was the death of my brother in-law who battled pancreatic cancer and finally lost. He was a good man who was married to my older sister for 46 years.

Also within the past few weeks I had upgraded my Nvidia 660SC to a 970FTW. The card was extremely fast and ran cool. However I had some weird stuttering issues that drove me crazy as I tried to track them down. It eventually led me to some recent articles on the memory issues on the 970. Since I was still within the send back period I decided to upgrade to a 980SC with the ACX 2.0 cooling fan.

A couple things about the 980

The ACX is worth the extra few bucks as they run cooler and the fan is super high quality

Make sure you have the room as the 980 is much longer than the 970 was. It barely fit in my Antec 903 case

Now I need to start tweaking the graphics once again for the sims I play to get the most eye candy from them. I doubt I will run into low FPS issues or stuttering now (least I hope not).

Another week when my daughter who flew in from Texas goes home should let me get back to normal and start spending some quality time flying.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you like your 980 OD?

Mine stutters a lot. I would return it for a refund if I could. I will never again buy anything from new egg.

From what I have been reading on a number of forums stuttering is a known problem at least for users if not for EVGA or Nvidia.

Have you ever heard of ASIC quality? Mine is 69.6 which seems low to me. Of course I don't fully understand it.

AP have you run the  Heaven Benchmark? I would let it run for a long time then hit Benchmark and see what you get. Like I told you I really think a 550W power supply is really underpowered. It is possible the GPU voltages might be fluctuating. Doing a lot of searching when I had the 970 leads me to believe there is not nearly as many 980 problems out there. CaptJack has never complained about stutters that I am aware of. I would be willing to bet he has a hefty power supply in his new system. as for ASIC that is like debating religion. Lots of opinions and not many consensus as to what it really determines.

I would go into the bios and disable the on board sound card and maybe even the network card. Then try it with no sound (no USB headphones either) offline and see if you still get the stutters. Narrow it down to the basics.

Another thing after the bios upgrade and the other things I mentioned would be to do a Nvidia driver cleaner. Also did you run the Resource Monitor and check to see what your CPU, drives and network are doing when it stutters? There could easily be something else running in the background causing it.

Also try this

Go to Nvidia Control panel and set Power management mode to use prefer maximum performance and change maximum pre rendered frames to 3.

Did you unpark the CPU cores?

Use Geforce Experience and place the card in Kboost mode

The GTX 770 card I was running takes more power than the GTX 980 requires. It wasn't stuttering with a 550 watt power supply, why then would I need more power with a card that draws less wattage than my previous card did?

I also updated the BIOS because I read somewhere that it needed to be updated to the latest version, but that may be the problem area. the Asus site has bios upgrades for the p8p67 REV 3.0 - New P67 B3 Revision

but my card is  a rev 1.02 (there are a number of P8P67 types out there mine is just a plain P8P67 as far as I can tell) so I may have totally screwed the pouch on that one. I understand you can't roll back the BIOS like you can drivers. I also updated the chipset drivers.

I did the other things you suggested......No difference.

I have downloaded the  Heaven Benchmark and will run it eventually. I will put the 770 card back in my machine at some point just to see if the stutters go away as it was before. If they do then I figure I wasted the money on the 980 card.

Right know I am using my old monitor with an upgraded card getting worse performance than I had with the 770 card. What the xxxx! I dont get it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well I had a little time to do some benchmarks

Using the Heaven Benchmark by Unigine on maxed out settings here is my results. Temp never hit 60c

https://unigine.com/products/heaven/

15875761923_cb40ae2ff2_o.jpg

What's up with the resolution here? 1920x1064? 

Normal would be 1920x1080 ...

Edit: I see you ran it windowed, ie not in 'Full Screen'

Here's what my system does: Asus "SYTRIX" GTX970

post-947-0-39911600-1425124298_thumb.jpg

Yes, despite the warning, I got me one... I guess I wasn't really paying attention after my GTX580 lost a fan, and I needed something new.

Can't say that it is stuttering though...

I dunno about Captain Jack but all the rest of you guys could have your CPU's running at 4ghz on air with no problem.

Obviously, that wouldn't make make any difference to how IL2 1946 would perform and I doubt anything over 3.5ghz would really effect CoD either but if you run RoF/BoS or DCS then I think that would be of measurable benefit. 

Yeah AP.  You could overclock with ease.  You'd need to fit an aftermarket cooler to your cpu first but its easy. You do not need to have water cooling to reach this speed.  Easier than flashing your Bios too!

Check this out;

I've got an i7-930 which runs at 2.8ghz as stock.  I run mine at 3.8ghz with no problem.

Two caveats;

If you are at all uncertain about overclocking then simply do not do it.  There is a risk of doing serious damage to your cpu and mobo if things go very wrong.

Do you get stutters in IL2 1946 or stutters in RoF that you did not have before?

I ask about these two sims specifically as they should both undoubtedly run smooth and stable on your system.  If this is the case then over-clocking your cpu will not cure the stutters your are getting.  Whatever the cause is, it's not because your cpu runs at its stock speed.

The video should just give an idea of what is involved.  I managed it and the house hasn't burnt down..............yet :salute:

4.3ghz paired with a 970?  Mmmm...that'll do nicely.  Have you tried BoS with it yet?  I would imagine that's the most demanding thing in the way of flight sims at the moment.

• 1. DDz Quorum

The video should just give an idea of what is involved.  I managed it and the house hasn't burnt down..............yet :salute:

4.3ghz paired with a 970?  Mmmm...that'll do nicely.  Have you tried BoS with it yet?  I would imagine that's the most demanding thing in the way of flight sims at the moment.

It does run nicely, the only 'issue'  I find is that is feels as if looking around with TrackIR is not as smooth as it used to be... can't really call it micro stutters... dunno...

Have not tried BOS yet... too occupied with IL2 and CloD ... 

Can't be bosthered ... ?

My ASUS Rampage II Extreme mb auto-overclocks to 4.02mhz with the click of a button on my desktop.

I have a Noctua double fan cooler, which is huge.  Think about the size if you get a big cooler.  I had to take out a large side fan to get my case closed, but Added fans in other areas to compensate.