Huey First Impressions

Kira

Takeoff: Fair enough.

Transitional flight in ground effect: Okay, if a bit wandery.

"Level" fight: Good, more wandering.

Landing: You mean we gotta get this thing back down again?  How many Hueys would you like to donate to the cause, sir?  Any landing you can walk away from, and forget about the "in one piece" bit!

Over all impression:  Wonderful!  Exactly what I've been waiting for since I started flight sims years ago.

• Like 1

Got the Sabre during the sale, too.  I can see why it was considered one of the best "pilot's airplane's" of all time.  Assuming that simulation is anywhere near accurate. 

Ever heard the old joke about Polish pilots?  Pilot: That's the shortest runway I've ever seen! CoPilot: And the widest.

I actually did this on my first landing with the F-86.  Saw a nice light strip that was obviously an airport.  Lined up, landed and rolled out... right across the runway.  By the time I'd realized what I'd done, I was about five seconds away from a collapsed nose wheel and a rapidly approaching perimeter fence.  Missed hitting the fence by something less than 50 and probably closer to 20 feet.  Had the nose wheel not collapsed, I'm certain I would've been through it.

I have got quite a few cool missions we could all try. Involving slicks and gunships, dropping off troops into a firefight. Lots of fun and lots of shot out instrument gauges. ;)

Well I'm always up for some multiplayer with you guys.  Is anybody else?  :whistle:  :icon_scratch:

Hellz yeah!  Beware the Russians' propensity to put controls in illogical places as AP and I discovered after three hours of searching the other night. (Thanks again for the help, AP!)  Might be very little flight going on for want of control searching.

But... We must coordinate paint schemes.  Stinks when you have an interesting one but no one else can see it as it's not on their PC.

By the way, two words: Force Trim.  That is all.  Makes life a hell of a lot easier.

Basically a mini-autopilot-ish.  It remembers your control positions, so that you can return your controls to neutral, while it maintains the inputs of where they where when you hit the Force Trim button on the stick.  The toggle switch to turn Force Trim on/off (why in the world would you turn it off???) is on the center console, extreme forward, due north of the caution lights panel. 

@ Kira, the problem is if everyone has custom skins, then they need to send these skins to everyone else who takes part and wants to see them. So if you don't fly regularly, and don't include these custom skins in the mission editor, then there's no need.

By the way, here's my custom 1st Air Calvary skin I used to use with my custom skin, aircraft number, pilot patches & helmet, and interior cabin...

Always #13 and Bulldog.

http://imgur.com/a/x5XCu#4

Fighting Dirty-Turd Squadron ;)

http://imgur.com/a/x5XCu#3

Happy and Glorious...

http://imgur.com/a/x5XCu#5

Check out the pin-up poster in the back of the cabin..

http://imgur.com/a/x5XCu#0

• 2 months later...

Picked up the Huey last year on sale and finally had time to try it.  It's kicking my butt, as all helos do, but is a helluva lot of fun.  I can do passable landings (usually within 1/4 mile of the intended spot) and even succeeded in a few autorotations without dying, though I suffered some compressed vertebrae.