Building A Bridge

FoolTrottel

• 1. DDz Quorum

So, this week I simply decided to build myself a model of the bridge in my home town, the bridge that was used as a stand in for the Anrhem one in the movie 'A Bridge Too Far'.

Some pictures how the thing looks:

post-947-0-37476200-1410697515_thumb.jpg

post-947-0-52377000-1410697525_thumb.jpg

A drawing I found in the local archives (Yes, I spent a few hours in one of Europe's oldest Libraries - dating back to 1560 - researching!).

Brilliant to browse through that old stuff  

post-947-0-03010200-1410697737_thumb.jpg

Basically, the only one I could find with some measurements...

The other values must be retrieved from a picture like this one:

post-947-0-49610000-1410697842_thumb.jpg

I will only be building the span itself, maybe the two pilars later as well... Maybe.

It will simply be an all wooden model, should be to scale, (1/70)  but not too precise, and not too detailed.

I mean the thing is all riveted, each beam and strut and whatnot...

First step done: Buying me some wood. Check!

Second step done: The two basic guirders (?) 2.10m long, getting them to bend a bit, as the bridge may appear level in the last picture, it does have a bulge! Check!

post-947-0-62604700-1410698408_thumb.jpg

Yes, please wish me good luck...  :shaunhb:

And if anyone has some cracking ideas what to do with the model once it's finished, please share!

(It might burn nicely, true... or blow up nicely.... but)

post-947-0-73552600-1410698538_thumb.jpg

(Same bridge, destroyed by the Germans in april 1945... someone forgot his helmet lol)

Is this a male menopause thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5mQE-yIFo

I think you should be making it in matchsticks! :P

Edit; actually FT; why not come over for a weekend at my place?  We can lift all the floor boards and recover all the bloody Lego thats fallen down there over the years.  I reckon there's enough under here to build a full size replica. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Great idea FT, what about researching some noteworthy happening that occurred on the real bridge and replicating it in your model ?

Crazy huh ? LOL

If the museum don't want it I could place it on the roof cross beams of the dispersal hut ? Great conversation point lol

P.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Great idea FT, what about researching some noteworthy happening that occurred on the real bridge and replicating it in your model ?

Crazy huh ? LOL

If the museum don't want it I could place it on the roof cross beams of the dispersal hut ? Great conversation point lol

P.

Noteworthy? Some head-on car crashes ... ?

No, it'd have to be the filming of course ... 

Oh, just read in the news the local museum had to close up shop, due to budget cuts ... Fools!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Two arches - fitting - trying ...

post-947-0-51737000-1411325073_thumb.jpg

There's an amazing amount of time disappearing into them small thingies I decided to add, to help with looks, and also construction...

For each of those 20 vertical thingies, 6 detail-items to create and to glue ... 

post-947-0-93079800-1411325381_thumb.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

City council whom I emailed requesting drawings and sizes of the arc, answered that the arc is not their responsibility, only the eastern part of the drive up to the arc.

So, I got a ton of drawings from them, all about stuff I'm not interested in... well, apart from the first pilar, though that's a big one to build.

So, sent a mail to the 'Rijkswaterstaat' (governemental stuff) and they replied and informed me what they had, asked if that would help... So I replied 'Yes, please' ... now waiting for the stuff...

Still making progress... bit concerning though, that I am building it, while still unsure about correct height of it.... oh well... there's always hope!

post-947-0-85006000-1411823924_thumb.jpg

post-947-0-13879300-1411823944_thumb.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

FT, having soaked up the atmosphere on the replacement bridge last weekend I am looking at this build in awe. What amazed me on the trip from Belgium up to Nijmegen, the route that 30 Corps took to consolidate the bridges taken by the Airborne, was how similar the bridges look. Apart from the Son bridge, they are all arched like this. This is a superb project mate, and brings back the heartfelt warmth and friendliness I got from the Gelderland people during my time there.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sid, in 1927, the Dutch government started planning for bigger main roads all over the country, and as there's lots of rivers to cross, a special buro was setup to organize them bridges. That's how some of 'm got to be of similar design I guess.

The one at my hometown was the last in the series...

The Dutch are still very thankful and humble at the same time for what the Allies did for us, beat the Germans, liberate the country and such.

Even now that the majority never experienced it, it still lives strongly ....

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hard to believe that a git like you can build such a wonderful model Arjen ; )

That looks fantastic m8.

So your local authorities like ours, like to pass you on to another department as often as possible LOL.

Looking forward to seeing the bridge painted ?

P.