Quick Poll For Joystick Placement?

OverDhill

• 1. DDz Quorum

Off to one side...

In my opinion, a center stick setup will only work if you have a complete cockpit setup, dedicated to pil2oting....

I use my IL2 computer for other stuff as well, as a 'normal' desktop ... A centered joystick will not fit in there...

As my stick is not mounted in any special location and my desk has the room I can place it where I want.  As a rule, it is to the right of the desk BUT I have often wondered about placing it in the center.  I will have to give that a try for a while and see what I think of it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I wanted a feel of "authenticity" so made a little attachment to my desk (which is also used as the main family pc so the same as FT and Jabo) to have the stick centered but could not get on with it so x52pro stick to the right and throttle to the left.

I had never used a gamer joystick before losing my arm (tho' I had used the small joysticks on plenty of mini-diggers!) It seemed natural to set the stick central - leaving space to site the mouse and keyboard on the left. And centre, preferably lower than the desk, just feels so right in a prop' sim! 

B

The important thing is how comfortable it is for you. If it feels awkward then center mount isnt for you. As FT says you need to have your controls set up and if you have the space and the time to try it out then see how you get on.

• 1. DDz Quorum

To the right, when I have one that is :)

I used to align it with the monitor too, but abandoned that - I found I adapted regardless of whether or not the axes were aligned.

I am in the process of gathering the parts to make an extension for my Warthog. Hoping it will help with my wrist problem. Might try a center position if I can figure a quick way to move it to the side when I am racing.

Thanks for all the replies

• 4 weeks later...

I have mine "free floating" shall we say.  On the rare occasion when I want to fly, it swaps places with my mouse, both to the right of my monitor.  Keyboard center, and throttle taped down on the left, but only because it wanted to walk and was being annoying.  Rudder pedals stay below the desk.  Works for me.

I am in the process of gathering the parts to make an extension for my Warthog. Hoping it will help with my wrist problem. Might try a center position if I can figure a quick way to move it to the side when I am racing.

I can not recommend enough getting an extension for your Hog. Here is my foldable setup, perhaps you can steal some ideas:

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?25663-Project-Foldable-SimPit

I can not recommend enough getting an extension for your Hog. Here is my foldable setup, perhaps you can steal some ideas:

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?25663-Project-Foldable-SimPit

Hey where did you buy the actual connectors to make the extension cable? Cool setup!

Nice setup.... I am sure glad I have my man cave. No problems with the wife here but then again we are empty nesters now so she has her own room also.

What material did you make the folding desk out of?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I use an Akers Barnes cockpit.  It suits me very well, as I have some serious back and shoulder issues and it gives me the ergonomic platform that affords support and comfort.

jgDbp.jpg

(The above is not mine.)

http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.com/Resources/AkersBarnesCockpit/CockpitOverview/tabid/73/Default.aspx

My eldest son and I used to fly with these blokes in Brisbane where once a month there's a LAN meeting.  The plans are downloadable from the website.  I built it using a square and a jigsaw.  No probs.  Later I added my own modifications which I shall feature on my website when I get around to it, taking some snaps of the cockpit in various stages of assembly.  The mods are really good as it enables me to use this cockpit for all of my computing needs.  Without it, I could only do a half-hour a day at a computer.