Surround Sound

Crash

I have a bit of a problem. Last night I decided to get the buttkicker working so I plugged it into the sub output (I am using onboard sound) and set up the speaker config up in Windows. I set it up to 5.1 and tested it and it worked fine but very loud:). I fired up 1946 and tested but not a squeak out of the BK. I selected all the different formats but nothing shook the seat. I tried CLoD, Elite Dangerous and DCS but nothing worked. I then tried a splitter on the  speaker out and plugged both my headphones and BK into it. Only one channel worked (both the BK and headset) I then plugged an old headset into the splitter and both headsets worked, so I know I know that the splitter is OK. Have I missed something obvious? How can windows see 5.1 and games not? :madpc::wacko:

• 1. DDz Quorum

How can windows see 5.1 and games not? 

Yeah, that's a big mistery ...

What I do know:

* Your Sub connector on the main board also has Center speaker on it.

* What software are you running for the soundcard? If it's a soundmax, or Realtek, the software settings can do weird things to sound and how/where it is output to. Maybe try and run without the software running?

* Check the Windows sound settings...

* Splitters do not really work well on these types of soundcards, I've tried several of them, and they do make channels go missing, in my experience.

(As if the onboard soundcard checks/sees what is connected, then adjusts its output to it... I'm not really sure.)

In the end, I have connected some wires directly from the SubWoofers's speaker to an amplifier, that has its output to my butkicker....

In the end, I have gotten myself a Roccat USB headseat, that has connectors to a standard 5.1 speakerset, same three outputs as on onboard sound.

Now, I press a switch on the headsets' controller (sitting at my desk) and I switch between headset and speakers/butkicker.

Finally I've found something that works consistenly (Surround Soundcard via USB) and with which I can easily switch between headset and speakers.

Still, every now and then, in IL2 there's big differences in sound output, different per a/c type (to be expected) but also every now and then, differences in engine volumes, and output to the kicker.

(I blame modded sounds for that, still would rather have stock sounds... and told tell me I can switch those on via GSGME, they are definitely not the same as stock....but, that's a different topic, sorry.)

Hello again, I think that the sound software detects a mono speaker so it sends a mono signal to only that channel. The software is Realtek and I havnt noticed any way to switch it off. I also have an old Creative Audity which now has a driver for Win7 so I might give that a go, although I hate trying to get behind the case and plug in wires :)

Now sorted.It seems that the only way to make it all work was to fool windows into thinking that only stereo speakers were attached to the card. I had a rummage in my spare cable box and found a 3.5 stereo jack to 2 RCA plug adapter. One end feeds the buttkicker the other feeds a RCA to 3.5 adapter fitted with an old set of in ear headphones. I will need to tidy up the spaghetti of cables behind my computer but I will save that treat for another time :)

• 2. Administrators

Do you remember "Opportunity Knocks" with Hughie Green or am I wandering into 'old fart' territory here? :P

Yup, you've definitely wandered off.

As far as "Oppotunity Knocks" and Hughie Green are concerned, I know the names, but you are dealing with something broadcast before I was born. I seem to recall another show with the same name broadcast some years later with (maybe) Bob Monkhouse hosting?

And don't get me started on Cowell.

• 1 month later...

After having issues with a Asus Xonar 5.1 card (the installer kept asking for me to insert the Xonar DG device) I have swapped it for a Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe and in my opinion its a lot better than the on board sound, With the Realtek I was getting crackles every time I used the scroll wheel on the mouse, and the sound wasnt that clear when playing games. Now its very good and should add a lot to flying and it works well with the Buttkicker :)

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about looking into 7.1 but I have some special issues to take into consideration. First off I have two separate areas where I play games on the same PC. For FPS'ers I use my standard 23" monitor and G15 keyboard sitting at my desktop PC. For sims I use the 39" HDTV and pit with TrackIR. Right now I use a Behringer HA400 4-Channel Stereo Headphone Amp to drive two pairs of Plantronics Audio 90's which I happen to like but they are not 5.1 or 7.1

So I need to find a setup that will allow me to use two 5.1 or 7.1 gaming headsets at the same time as I really don't want to have to go into Device manager and keep changing which sound card is being used. I might also complicate things by adding a butt kicker solution down the road.

My Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth Z77 which supports 7.1

Any ideas?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Me thinks most modern headsets use USB for 5.1, or even 7.1

That is, most of 'm use software tricks to make it sound like you do have 8 speakers...

And, using USB headsets will make you go digital... connection wise.

And, you get the problem of having multiple devices...

What about this thing:

Logitech G930 , it's got 7.1, and is wireless. That may solve your issue of using two setups?

(Butkicker might be a no go in this setup though...)

Well actually I thinking about it and I think I can solve the dual headphones with a cheap USB switch. This still leaves the butt kicker but I do use my steering wheel as a rumble feedback so at least I have that.

So which headsets do you guys love and recommend?

Well what would be cool is to have the ROCCAT (ROC-14-160) headphones and be able to use the built in 5.1 speaker ports on the remote at the same time. Maybe use the ROCCAT Kave 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset (ROC-14-500) and connect them to the speaker ports of the ROC-14-160. If not then that would be a cool feature for them to incorporate.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I am using that Kave 5.1 Digital. ROC-14-160

I upgraded to that from a Kave 5.1 Surround. (That one I handed over to Crash, so I cannot test it for you...)

You should be able to connect the Surround to the controlbox of the Digital. I have my 5.1 speakerset connected to it.

You can then use the 'Speakers'  button on the control box to switch from the Digital one to the Surround one.

Can't use 'm both at the same time, sound wise. 

You would be left with only one sound device (switching off the onboard one). That's good.

Cable lenght of both headsets is fair, but I could not tell you whether it's sufficient for you... you can always lengthen them for sure.