Dcs Edge Project

Nage

No, I have not been flying DCS much the past few months.  Been busy with spring yard work and learning Falcon 4.0 BMS.  I can ramp start, takeoff, and land so far.  Then last Wed my pc stopped booting.  Just got it back working today.

But I will check out the Huey now that you mention it.  I didn't hear about that new stuff for it..  All I saw was they took the word Beta off the name.

Yes the last 2 patches were awesome! The door gunners and co-pilot can now be ordered to fire at will or return fire, and you can tell them to fire in short bursts or long. So if you upgrade the door gunners to the mini-guns too, they JUST TEAR APART enemy ground forces.

I love flying a gunship now, just circle the target area and let the door gunners go nuts!

The under-slung loads takes a lot of practise, but it's great fun to deliver loads to a FOB now.

p.s. Sheesh, I remember doing ramp-starts in Falcon 4 BMS, having to start in the cockpit 30mins before take-off time. And then you don't play the game for a week and you're like, "...how do I turn on the battery again?..." Same with A-10C, I could ramp-start that at the beginning of the year. Forget all that now.

I haven't flown the Huey since last January, so that is some cool stuff.

In real time I can ramp start the falcon in about 8-10 minutes.  The thing that takes the longest is the avionics getting ready, but if you speed up time (shift+tab) I can ramp start in about 5 minutes.  But that stuff is easy to forget if it's just a series of switches.  I categorize the switches into the systems and it makes it easier for me to recall.  Parking brakes on, then to start the engine there are about 4 switches, then lights about 4 switches; then avionics 8 switches, ect..  If I can remember the categories, I will remember the switches better.

Falcon has the Israel theater and last January 2014 Tom Catz released his 'final' tiles for Korea seen here:

201403111806s6vxadoyp5.jpg

201403081331rs28xfpkuy.jpg

And there is a Balkans theater too.  I am not sure how long this has been available..

http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?12025-New-Texture-Balkans

Some cool stuff for sure.  It keeps me busy at the moment...   :thumbsu:

Those updated Korea tiles look well impressive considering the age of Falcon4. I still think Falcon4 has the BEST campaigns in any flight sim, even compared to newer games. A huge war unfolding non-stop, 24 hours a day, with multiple types of missions to fly. Although DCS is slicker, it's static, one-off missions pale in comparison.

Can someone bring me up to speed on what would be required for getting involved in Falcon as in programs mods etc. and where to look to find them?  I have not really gotten into a Jet sim since Fighter Anthology.  I have DCS but have not flown it much.

You just need the falcon.exe (I can send you that).  Then download BMS Full Installer (U1-6) and also Update 7.

The BMS Installer will ask you where your falcon.exe is.. just point the installer to it so it sees it and let it install.

The Update 7 patch needs to be applied to the INSTALLER, not the game itself.  READ these instructions on Update 4 on how to install Updates to the Setup folder.

Here is a great and quick tutorial.  Yes it's over an hour long, but it shows you everything from installing, configuring, ramp start, to AA and AG Combat ready flying!

Then run the game, and if it runs ok, backup the entire game folder.  I do this every once in a while to keep a good working backup in case I screw something up and it starts crashing.

In the games Setup, set the Autopilot to Combat.  Run the game and start Instant Action.  Once started press A (for autopilot) and the AI will start dogfighting by itself.  Then press Shift + ~ to turn on the Action Camera and watch the action.

Then if you want you can download the new Theater tiles here:

Korea

Israel

Balkans - There are textures available from the parent forum, but I am waiting for this FO Battle for Balkans download.  This is what everyone else is waiting for I think since it contains a good campaign as well..  But I am not sure exactly what this is because their is a Falcon Online (FO) Server/Forum and I think it will be run there as well..

Email has been sent with the files Goth..

PS: if you ever get a crash to desktop try deleting your ..\User\Config\dx9display.dsp file.  The game re-creates it, and you need to just reset your Game graphics and sound, and reload your controller file I think.