New Game Launcher, New Set Up

Hello guys! :salute: ,

@FT; motion blur can be turned off.  I don't fly with it on but I do like to enable it when making videos.  Also, everyone must fly (or drive) whatever takes their fancy.  However, I don't think anyone can really concentrate on more than two flight sims at one time without giving up too much free time which would otherwise be spent doing more "normal" things - like talking to wifey or partner, chasing women, seeing friends,  walking the dog, playing with the kids, etc.

So choices have to be made.....which brings me to;

@Crash; I must admit, at the moment I have neither IL2 1946 or Cliffs installed.   IL2 'cause it's just a bit too painful to look atcompared with all the other more modern stuff out there and Cliffs because....well, I've still got around 700 hours in it logged through Steam as I flew it for the first three or four years after release when no one else was interested in it.

If and when TF patch 5.0 is released I'll have another look, especially if they manage to produce a unified installer, but we'll see.  At the moment I fly BoS and DCS - at about 11p.m. at night, perhaps two or three times a week.

I do have my newish job which does indeed mean much less workload at home but since the spring this free time has been taken up with the kids. My oldest lives at home - which secretly pleases me a great deal - and I've been playing a lot of golf with him and his mates of an evening and I also seem to have spent a great deal of time in the sea with my youngest this summer.  We've both got right into snorkling around the rock pools at high tide and kayaking and just...stuff.  Oh yeah, and my electric helicopter collection and more...stuff. 

So my sim flying time is taken with those two sims at the moment.  Of course thats a solitary affair at 11p.m.  So I'm not really at the PC during Dogz times at the moment.

A lot of this is because I'm acutely aware that my time as a "dad" - taking an active part in my childrens lives - is, sadly, drawing to a close.  In the next couple of years my youngest will no doubt discover the opposite sex and it'll be "not now, Dad"  Sob!!!! :P   

I've got Flaming Cliffs 3, the Sabre, MiG-15, the Nevada map - which is fantastic -  and the P-51.  I reserve DCS for my propellerless flying and frankly the Flaming Cliffs level of simulation suits me fine.  I'm never going to have the interest or the will to learn all the systems as modelled by DCS but obviously lots of people out there do.  When I fire up 'me F15 or Su I still have to have a couple of pages of notes to hand to handle the radar modes! 

What I'm really looking forward to at the moment is the release of the updated Crimean peninsular map.  I've taken to flying DCS with Nvidia downsampling on with SweetFX and it looks fantastic.  Not too enamoured by the P 51 though and I think, for me, DCS WW2 is a non-starter.  

• 1. DDz Quorum

Life so gets in the way, and I personally am starting to realize that is actually a good thing!

DCS looks to be a keeper, I find the models pretty good (and demanding) and enjoy the variety that it gives - props vs jets vs rotary.

Will it be the new IL2? Time will tell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

As I have replaced the potentiometers with rotary encoders for the elevator and rudder trims I will give this another go. I try to keep controls the same as possible for my flight sims. I needs a lot of clicks for the elevator trim to move from max up to max down in Clod.

• 1 month later...

It made me do an update today, and asked what controller to use. I haven't looked into the settings yet. Been trying to wrap my head around the Reshade+ Mediator thing, but am not able to locate the Mediator part of it that the guys are posting about and using over on their forum for this game.

I'm not sure exactly what your asking Crash, but yes I can still use buttons or keys for trim up and down etc. Just not my rotary yet, the game will recognize the rotary for the command, but the commands are still spit and and it doesn't show the axis curve settings to the right if you program it. IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad 12.17.2016 - 14.38.03.03.png

No trim on a rotary yet.  Except the all-moving horizontal stabilizer on the '109.  After some angst about it on the BoS forum Jason said they would look into it but no news yet.

However, daftly, having the 109 stab on an axis means this is open to an exploit wherein the more dedicated Luftwhinners have put the assignment for 109 stab on the joystick axis.  :rolleyes:

Todd; don't waste any time on Reshade today.  Tomrrow there will be a big, BIG update that will bring us version 2.006. Amongst a load of other stuff this will make the game run in DX11.  That means everyone running SweetFX at the moment will have to re-apply it using the DX11 version.

Standby for lots more info on applying SweetFX and Reshade version 3.:salute:

• Like 1

Thanks Arthur!

Now you got me wondering what a rotary encoder is is Crash LOL

But no hurry for anything today it appears. My machine decided not to boot Win7 today and I'm getting a error 0=490 from it. I'm still able to access the machiine thourgh my XP and Win10 partitions though. after futzing around with it all day,I'm backing up what needs to be then reformat the SSD and drop a backup of the three OS's back into it. If that doesn't fix it I'm leaniong towards a failure of the SSD in the area of the Win7 install.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Crash said:

Last turn a bit low there Arthur ;) If/when nvidia sort out the driver issue for the 780ti I will set this up again. If they dont then I will have to go the 1080/Occulus Rift route  Oh dear

I did wonder about that last run over the field but it seemed like a good idea at the time:unsure:  It was like this guv'nor.....:P

I didn't realise you've got the now dreaded 780 Crash.  Good luck with a fix. Nvidia's last driver update was meant to cure it but.........>:(

It seems BoS's VR implementation has blown everyone away.  I am very tempted by the Rift.   However, since I'll need an evilbay raid to get new mobo, chip and a gtx970 I'm going to sit it out and see what our Chinese friends can come up with this summer.  Pimax anyone?

A 980?  Possibly but there seem to be many guys running BoS in VR with a 970 quite happily.  Heres a quick vid of Jason Williams at the 1CGS offices in Moscow last week.

The machine he's using has a gtx770!!:o  

For me the biggest obstacle to all this will be my wife.  Will she tolerate me - and our youngest - wearing scuba diving equipment indoors?:roadrage: