Aargh! Or Why I Hate Computers

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

So I get in from a hard days keyboard bashing at work all aglow at the prospect of fleigening with my chums this evening. Plonking myself down in my comfy chair I switch on the 'puter for a quick system check and the thing fails to boot - device not found. Odd I thought and went through the BIOS settings and I notice that at the boot device was set to one of my SSD drives rather than the RAID volume it should be. Still not too perturbed I reset the boot device to RAID, save and restart. Second boot goes past the BIOS but then fails at the RAID controller. According to a friendly screen my RAID volume now comprises 1 SSD. Now you can't make a RAID volume with 1 disk so I have to remove the array completely and then rebuild it which wipes the drives. And now I have to reinstall windows. Oh joy.

do not lie to your self Nick. You just LOVE to take your compy apart and building it up again  :P

btw ssd in raid? like ssd is not fast enough?  :startle: 

i have one ssd for main boot drive and my comp is booting not more than 5 - 6 sec. with ssd in strip it must fly!

• 2. Administrators

That is why I use TrueImage to make a complete image backup to an external USB drive. Fix the drive and restore it as it was in less than 45 minutes. Also comes in handy should you ever get a virus or any other OS failure. It is well worth doing.

Not really in my case Hill, I do own TrueImage (as in bought, not a hooky copy - I know, shocking right?) but my OS setup changes frequently and I can't be bothered to keep updating the image - plus, I've never been too enamored with it's imaging capabilities - maybe it's time to have another look.

do not lie to your self Nick. You just LOVE to take your compy apart and building it up again  :P

btw ssd in raid? like ssd is not fast enough?  :startle:

i have one ssd for main boot drive and my comp is booting not more than 5 - 6 sec. with ssd in strip it must fly!

lol - maybe :matrix:

Pretty much yeah - plus both SSDs are SATA III and are connected to SATA III connectors on the mobo -  which in theory gives a throughput of 12Gb/s although this is not possible in the real world - SATA III actual bandwidth throughput is up to 600MB/s so I could get 1.2GB/s - pretty quick. I also store a few big programs ike Adobe Photoshop and Premiere on the RAID - launching them from the SSD is a real treat.

You need two computers, one to "tune up" and one standard device to leave alone as a back up for chums time.

Hope you are OK for Thursday m8.

P.

One day Michael, one day...

Anyway, 'tis all sorted now.

Jabo

P.S. problem was, I believe, due to a power outage followed by a big voltage spike when the power came back on screwing the settings of the RAID controller - not much I could do about that really.