Saitek X55 Rhino?

Snacko

My faith in Saitek was shaken somewhat when the X52 Pro set I purchased had major issues with deadzone, kept being dropped from Windows and then died a few weeks after I started using it. Sp at $150 it was less than stellar to say the least.  Returned it and got a Thrustmaster Warthog. No problems so far.

Somebody needs to fill the gap between the $500 Warthog and the $150 hotas setup.  I too have had a x52pro for about 5-6 years and it was 'good' at first, but now it is just ok.  Yes, the deadzone could be better and also the other axis are kind of jittery now since they have dust on them, or maybe it's just wear?

If your X52 Pro uses HAL effects then it would not be dust or wear. You could use one of those utilities and look at the raw numbers for the axis and see if it is changing while your not moving anything. If it is then it is more likely electrical noise. I would check the DIN connector (not a great connection for the joystick itself) and well as the USB port you are plugging it into. Maybe try a powered hub if you suspect the USB power to be a bit noisy. As for the dead zone I would certainly try the fix as it looks pretty easy to do by just adding to the magnet and making it closer to the HAL effect.

I have modded mine and added stronger magnets to the back of the existing ones and that helps.

What is a HAL effect?

I can see that they are jumpy in the Windows Controller Properties.  Mostly my slider and wheels.  I have to use a USB extension cord to reach my pc.  It is plugged directly into the motherboard.  When I get that new Cockpit setup, I will move everything around and won't need that USB extension. Maybe that will help.

A HAL effect is a small device that outputs an electrical signal when a magnetic field is present. They use these instead of potentiometers for the stick X-Y axis. As for the slider and throttle they might be pots. So you could get some good electrical contact cleaner (make sure its safe for plastic) and spray those and move them back and forth a couple times (make sure the spray is getting inside - usually around where the terminals come out).  .

This is a good brand and I have been using it for decades as did my father also.

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronics-DE-OX-ID-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B004SPJN9W

I prefer the liquid version and then use a long hypodermic needle to squirt it into the pots

http://www.telephoneparts.com/index.cgi?pcode=19-1902&gclid=CK6wt7qh27sCFeYWMgodzxoA-w

Thanks.  My monitors and cockpit should arrive within a few days.  After I get it setup I may need to do this.

On a different note..  Did you create this Lockon FC2 profile using Helios?  There can only be 1 OverDHill!  I didn't know you flew lockon or had a touchscreen..  I just upgraded from my 8 year old 8" touchscreen to a 23" one.

Yes that is me. I have not spent much time playing with Lockon FC2 but it does look pretty nice with all the mods. I am hoping to get more time to mess around with IL2 and Lockon FC2 this winter. I had a lot of fun doing the skins using Helios and UDP Speed on my 24" touchscreen. I find the learning curve for these flight sims is much easier when you have the controls in front of you and not 100+ keystrokes to memorize.

Check out my thread for more details

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/10514-new-here-and-to-il-2/

39" Monitor with a 24" Touchscreen running Helios and UDP Speed. Thrustmaster Warthog and Saitek Pro Pedals. Also use TrackIR (can't live without it)

8425100820_e4e3601048_b.jpg

Well my man cave is in the basement and its 11X12 feet. Gets a bit chilly sometimes in the winter but its quiet and I can do with it as I please. I has a six zone whole house audio system I designed and built so I can listen to my music library (1000+ CD's ripped into a lossless format). My main PC sits on the right side of the room and my pit on the left. I play FPS games on the main PC but move over to the pit when I fly. Someday when we move I will probably have to give it up.

Do you fly DCS?  FC3?..  Have you tried Touchbuddy on your touchscreen?  I wrote the toolkit for that have been using that for years on my old 8" touchscreen.  (I had asked about that in your other post, but got no reply)..  Now I am converting several profiles over to 1920x1080 for my new 23" touchscreen.

Actually I just purchased FC3 late last night after I found out that someone had gotten the Exports working for Helios. I did a quick test and everything seems to be working with my FC2 Helios skin. I will investigate and see if there are any instruments that might be exported that I am missing. I just need to find the time as I am a novice at flight sims (I flew some sims a long time ago then life got in the way) and these sims have a pretty steep learning curve. Last winter I did have FC2 fully modded and looking pretty nice but multiplayer part was pretty much out of the question so I did not spend much time with it and then spring time came and with a new grandson 800 miles away we did a lot of time away from home.

I did play around with Touchbuddy and it was pretty nice. I prefer Helios as it will do a lot of the instruments as well as the buttons and switches. As for the reply I am not sure why I am not getting any email notifications.

I have the weapons loadout, warnings panel, and RWR/TEWS exports working with TB in DCS now.  I have been testing it, but have not uploaded it to the TB site yet.

Does Helios work with games other than DCS?  Like IL2 or anything else?  TB will work with any game, but yes.. you do have to create or borrow your own buttons.  I really like the Helios app.  It turns out that Gadrocs actually lives only 15 miles from me here in Columbus.  Small world..

• 2 weeks later...