New Build

Oldtimer

Ummm...... Hi chaps - it's only been a couple of years......

Anyway, looking to fly again quite soon but need to upgrade the box first. Current thoughts are:

MSI Z87 g45 mono

I5 4670k 3.4 GHz

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Win 7 pro

Graphics card still up for grabs - any suggestions welcomed. And do I still need a sound card nowadays? Am running an Audigy 2 at the moment.

Oldtimer - a blast from the past.

• 2. Administrators

Adrian! Good to hear from you again mate.

We've recently helped a couple of chaps here spec new rigs, so I'm sure there might be some assistance forthcoming if you need it. If you can get on TS I'd be happy to work through it with you (should be on tonight).

You probably won't need a soundcard these days as the majority of new boards have on-board sound which saves a slot and leaves more free space for air to circulate around the graphics card. Still down to personal choice though.

Graphics cards are key (obviously), but the decision here is budget since even relatively modest cards these days will have sufficient oomph to run IL-2 maxed out.

Jump on TS and we can have a chat.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hello OT, very pleased to see you back here :)

I have an Nvidia GTX460 graphics card that you can have FOC to get you started if you want it. It runs IL2 and Rise of Flight maxed out nooo problems, CLoD is down a notch on the graphics to get the best performance. It's about 2 years old but is absolutely fine for this game.

You don't need a sound card as onboard sound is fine but 5.1 surround does enhance it when using the mods.

Take care matey. 

• 2. Administrators

There you go OT, I think Sid's just saved you some cash and the even better news is that if that card will run ROF maxed out, then it'll run the new IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad equally well (it's based on the ROF engine).

Jabo