Not Booting From Harddrive

delta7

Computer crashed due to power trip and when I restarted had the error message "DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER",

The drives are detected in BIOS so I switched the boot sequence and booted off my win 7 disc, did a repair but no joy.

The sysetm boots off the windows disc and everything is ok bit I cant boot off the hard drive.

I think I have to repair the mbr?  what is the best way to do this?

how do I know what partition this is on ? I have 2 harddrives each with partitions on them

• 1. DDz Quorum

Create a windows startup repair disk, boot the computer with that one.

If you know on which physical disk your broken windows/boot thing is on, disconnect the other one first....

Select Windows Setup when it asks you to (other option there would be memory diagnostics, you do not need those)

The disk will show you which windows versions it can find on the disk, and let you select it.

The choose 'Command Prompt', the commands to use:

bootrec /FixMbr

bootrec /FixBoot

Then type Exit and press restart.

Please note that I am writing this not from experience (haven't seen many of theses issues running windows 7) so maybe wait for replies of others with more experience? I have tried this procedure on a laptop though, and though the thing wasn't broken, the commands did not break it  :glasses9:

Alternative would be to boot the system with a Linux like DVD, including repair tools. Windows PE disk comes to mind.

Good Luck!

• 2. Administrators

I'd be inclined to agree I think Arjen. Like you say though, this is pretty unusual for Windows 7. I'm pretty careful to label my drives when I install them, so if I boot from the windows 7 disk, I can see the drive labels and that tells me what needs to go where. Have you done that Dave? It might help you find the boot drive.

Jabo

If you can detect the drives in Windows and BIOS then it should be possible to isolate the C drive's location from the SATA listings. You would need to consult the motherboard manual to see the layout of the SATA outlets, then consult the listings to find the outlet. The main drive's cable is usually plugged to the SATA 0 outlet but consulting the BIOS listings will clarify that..

B

Thanks guys

ran the startup repair from the windows disc , then the command line on the windows recovery, then ran bootrec and seems ok.

Still puzzled about the cause, I suspect a faulty connection so I will strip, clean and reinstall everything on tuesday when I have a bit of time

Im also going to get an external harddrive and mirror the drive in case it is the drive giving out

good to have the reassurance here

thanks

Dave

S

ok its a bit more complicated; Im still having problems with one of my drives

when I bought the computer I installed xp on its hard drive - drive 1

when I wanted to upgrade to windows 7 I bought a second drive and installed it on here as a dual boot.- drive 2

It is drive 1 that seems to have a loose connection and thats what caused the origonal problem.

Drive 1 has the master boot files and so thats why these are corrupted.And I cant seem to get it fixed properly.

I dont need all the partitions on drive 1 , only 1 has programs I use but I think it will be difficult to save these.

The problem is either drive connections, sata lead or motherboard

Anyway plan is to swop the Sata  leads one final time to try to secure all connections, then  make drive 2 ( win 7) bootable and active and finally if drive is still erratic then  copy the partition I need and install this onto a new hard drive

If its the motherboard then Im screwed and itll be a new pc :icon_puke_l: