Ww2 Europe 44

Crash

Any one else backing this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944

Quote from Ilya

Evening everyone!

FREE for everyone:
P-47
Spitfire
Bf.109K

Paid on release
P-51 (from DCS World)
FW-190D (from DCS World)

If you back at a $20 level, you can pick a P-51 or FW-190D.

If you back at a $40 level, you will have both.

If you already own a DCS World P-51 and/or FW-190, then obviously no one wants you to have to pay for anything twice.

If we reach stretch goals, then the story changes.

Free aircraft list will most likely not change.

Backing at $20 still gets you one of the larger variety of paid aircraft.

$40 or above still gets you ALL of the initial flyables.

None of the aircraft released in future updates are covered by any of this.

Looks promising :)

$1,000,000

• Everything at the previous level, plus:
  • A flyable Boeing B-17
  • A flyable Luftwaffe plane (Me 410 A or Ju 88, as voted for by the backers)
  • Romania, new large gameplay map
  • 4 new single-player campaigns for the new aircraft and theaters

Can you imagine many going for this level of expense for a sim.

a post from over at Joint Ops

"It is tempting. I have been flying the DCS P51 for about a month now and love the flight model but am getting frustrated with not being able to shoot down the FW190. I can see the hits but I never seem to make any critical ones. I assumed it was lack of skill on my part until the day I shot off the tail and a new one grew back shocked.gif (I have the track); so, I am a little skeptical about the damage model and not sure I want to invest. But thanks for posting the links."

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded and got the P51 up and running yesterday.  It's a hoot!  Very satisfying just to do a decent 3-pointer.  Damage modelling and effects is a bit of a let down but the biggest draw back at the moment is being stuck with the old LockOn map.  I haven't managed to shoot up the FW yet but I have brought down an Antonov transport plane (!) and I've taxied around the hardened aircraft shelters of a Cold War Soviet airfield in the Caucasus (!!).

This thing desperately needs some sort of context so I think Luthier would be doing himself and DCS a big favour by developing a western Europe map as a matter of priority but of course that requires the "Edge" engine to be introduced and ED will give no time scale on that.

I bunged $20 into the Kickstarter this morning for old times sake.  I'd love to fly a P47 made to the standard of a study sim. though I think the promise of the base game being free with three flyables to this standard is going to put a bit of a millstone around the devs necks.  Will it make for a commercially viable combat flight sim in the long run?  Not a cat's chance in hell.  Once you've negociated the sheer clunkiness of DCS World installation to get anything out of this you need the full kit; TrackIr, a Hotas set up, pedals, etc.  Then you go through the "Uh-oh, my tracker/joystick/throttle stopped working" bit and then you're confronted with a vertical cliff face of a learning curve for each aircraft.  There are simply not enough people with this level of dedication and enthusiasm to support this sort of complexity.  Good luck to 'em though.

What a revelation it must have been for experienced pilots in the late 'forties to exchange their big piston engined fighters with a cockpit full of gauges and levers requiring constant monitoring for a DeHaviland Vampire or a Lockheed P80. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I decided to back this today...  Today they changed what you get if you back early.  I went for the $40 option which now includes 'every' aircraft in the initial release (instead of just 4), and early beta access.