I'm Back

Eraser

Hi guys,

I'm back, user name Eraser.  I was playing this game and a DD member way back in 2008-2009.  I had to sell all my equipment for unforeseen reasons back in 2009.  Well, now things have changed and I just built me a new gaming machine and bought all new flying gear.

Aerocool Strike X case (wicked looking case)

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard

AMD FX 4130 3.8 GHz processor overclocked to 4.5 GHz (waiting on more $$ to upgrade to FX 8350)

8 GB Corsair Vengence Ram

Corsair 100i Watercooler

800 watt CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold Power Supply

60 GB Kingston SSD V300 main bootup/windows 7 64bit hard drive (I hate windows B)

120 GB Samsung SSD 840 gaming hard drive

ATI Radeon 6750 1 GB Memory Video card

TrackIR 5

Saitek X52 Pro Joystick & Throttle

Saitek Pro Rudders, coming very soon, but ran out of money for the moment :(

27" Acer Monitor - wall mounted

Klipsch THK Speakers with Subwoofer

Installed ::

Teamspeak

FSX

IL2 1946 Sturmovik with Forgotten Battles/Ace Expansion Pack/Pacific Fighters included

also loaded/installed all patches for IL2 1946

4.09 skins

I remember from before, having to install some Mods or something from the Vault to be able to fly with you guys, but I forgot what I need as it's been 4 years ago since being on the forum.  Please let me know what I need to get up and running again.  :)

I just finished building this machine last week.  So needless to say tweaking it is still an everyday event, for awhile.  Let alone fine tuning all the settings for the controls.  After not playing this game in 4 years I was still able to land on the runway using a Zero A6M5 without crashing.  I have the settings on 1980x1080, everything is on MAX as either High/Excellent/Perfect.  My only downside is that I'm on ATT DSL 6.0 their fastest DSL availble in Augusta GA.  Not so sure how this will be compared to my old Comcast cable connection I used to have.  I know it's a lot slower for d/l's, that's for sure.  :(  Oh well, hopefully it will not be laggy.

Oh yea, is this still the current game that you guys are flying for missions ?  If not, what game should I be buying ?  I reloaded this game as this was my most favorite to fly back in 2009.  Being out of the loop for so long, not sure if newer/better games have come about.

Thanks

Robert   aka Eraser

Welcome back. Its always good to see old dogz return :) At the moment we are running HSFX6.17 expert mode. which you will need to install over 4.11.1 There could well be people on TS today and tomorrow evening UK time with co-ops on Sunday 7:30pm UK time. So keep an eye open and say hello.

Thanks Crash,

I just scoured the vault and either I'm blind (most likely) or I could not find the HSFX 6.17 expert mode download file.  I did d/l the 6.0 readme file for instructions on installation.

Could you post me a link for the file I need.  I do thank you in advance. 

Here you go. You need to install over a clean 4.11.1 and use the JSME to enable the different mods http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=30&sid=d894fd2dfc191fe9022b7bedb7073d71 This site contains ALL the HSFX stuff. I think that you need to install up to 6.12 and then use the updater.

Thanks,

But I'm already updated to 4.12.1 which is two updates above the 4.11.1 well actually the 4.12.0 includes the 4.11.1 anyway, will this make a difference or can I go ahead and start installing HSFX stuff or do I have to reinstall all over again and stop at the 4.11.1 ?

Never mind, I read the FAQ on that website/forum and it has to be at 4.11.1  which means I got to delete & reinstall all over again.  Is there a way to remove an patch after it's installed, whereas that would save me loads of work & time ?    :(

Hi there Eraser.

Don't delete your 4.12 installation. You will always need a bone stock version installed in addition to another copy for any modded version for upgrading to a new patch.

Rename the folder (IL2 4.12.1) or something similar. Then install everything again up to 4.11 in a new folder.  Don't put it in program files but in the root folder of the C: drive, move the original install out of program files as well.

When HSFX comes out for 4.12 you can delete the 4.11 install, make a copy of the stock 4.12 install and install HSFX there but always keep a clean copy of the current version somewhere.

Thanks Guys,

Yep I already have the IL2 installed directly on my E: drive & not in a Programs Files folder.  Great answers by the way (wish I'd thought of it) but I'll leave my stand alone version 4.12.1 as is and reinstall IL2 to a new folder for the "mod version" and run from there.  Having two versions of the game installed is no biggy.

I'll get started on the reinstall later this evening as well as d/l'ing all the HSFX stuff.  

Thanks a million for y'alls quick response/answers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

Howdy Mayhem.....  :salute: 

well I tried everything under the sun and IL2 1946 would not let me install a 2nd copy of the game.  I renamed my 1st game to a new name/folder/rebooted, heck even moved it to my C: drive instead of the E: drive and still no go.  Every time I clicked the install button a box would open for me to uninstall the previous version.  I even tried installing from the directory of the CD, but again no go.  I even tried the "a." setup in the CD, again no go.  Needless to say I was very aggravated about this time.  So I ended up uninstalling my original version  of 4.12.1 and started from scratch.  What a pain.  But I managed to get everything installed up to the 4.11.1 as well as the almost 5 GB d/l of the HSFX patches.  Talk about slow DSL, man it took forrrrrreeeevvvvveeeerrrr  :(    So over this weekend I'll be going through the game to setup my flight controls of the Saitek X52 Pros as well as tweaking the Trackir 5 for smooth performance.  I knew I had a bumpy task in front of me to get this game up and running, but it's a game that is well worth the "scratching of the head" a few times.  Couldn't pull any hair out as I don't have much  :) 

Now if I can get find my old headset mic, so far I have tore this house completely apart and can't find them anywhere.  But this will be my #1 priority later this evening to do a complete search of every nick & corner for them.  Otherwise I'll have to order another mic off ebay/amazon.  :(

Anyway, want to say THANKS Again for steering me to the places & patches I needed to get up and running.  Once I get things tweaked out & refresh a tad more, I'll come join some missions with you guys.  I'm not that great of a combat flyer, but I can hit a target, and takeoff & land the plane on Realistic Modes.

ps...I've never flown a real plane.  I did order a book & just received 2 weeks ago called Air Combat Manoeuvres this is one killer book.  Awesome color pictures/illustrations throughout.  his should get my combat flying skills up to par.

• 1. DDz Quorum

But I managed to get everything installed up to the 4.11.1 

Good.

Now, first thing to do is to make a backup copy of this version.

To a separate folder, or disk, or external harddisk...

Then, setup the stick, and buttons and whatever.

Copy conf.ini file and the folder named 'Users' to the backup copy of 4.11.1m

After completing that, make another copy of the 4.11.1m folder, the rename that copy to 1946HSFX (for instance) (on the same disk)

And install the HSFX mod in that one folder. 

Not as backup, but as a running version.

Next, you can install 4.12.1m over the original 4.11.1m.

You now have two separate versions installed!

Create shortcuts to both the il2fb.exe files and name those in a way recognizable for you.

As you still have a copy of 4.11.1m as a backup, you can always revert back to that one if you need to start all over...

Good Luck!