Getting The Server To Run Under Linux

• 1. DDz Quorum

Looks like it is not such a difficult thing to do after all!

post-284-0-71041800-1363033056_thumb.png

OK not got a mission loaded in that one, but the really neat thing is..

That is my Windows 7 desktop @ home, the ROF Dedicated server (on puppy) is actually running on the Linux server on the other side of the English Channel to me  :thumbsu:  :roflmao:

Magic! And I can pause the view, leave the server running in the background, and come back to it later if I wish.

All thanks to this:

http://winswitch.org/

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hm, interesting stuff... so... you do not really switch the remotely running application to your local workstation, you just kinda control it from your local workstation?

Kinda like as if you are using a complete remote session, but only a small part of it, as if only the one remote application you are using is being remotely controlled?

Cool.

Well, that's if I really do understand what it does.... lol.

What kind of gaming hardware does it support?

Can I use it to run IL2 from my place at work, where it really runs at home?

Will my joystick move at my desk even when I'm not there.... ?  :shaunhb:  Never mind, I'm getting silly now....

• 1. DDz Quorum

You pretty much got it in one.

The software sends only the chosen 'window' or app display, in this case it is the server control panel, to my system.

In theory I could do the same with the IL2 server too, and control it remotely.

Resource wise, on the hosting server, the display is sent to a virtual display, so no video card is involved :)

I'd love to have a rotating mission RoF server available - somewhere I could fly my Airco DH2 and when it appears, my Be2c also. But the whole server thing with RoF just evades me - just 'cos I'm not very bright at the necessary stuff to get it working  :(