New Toy Mmm

Jabo

• 2. Administrators
11 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Just no.  Thats just too much.  Prices and availability will come down eventually.  I don't think it's due to bit coin mining so much as a world shortage of chips at the moment. 

I don't really share that appraisal (hope to be wrong) or your optimism at all I'm afraid. It is definitely due to both (specifically ddr memory shortages), and crypto currency mining is only growing. Prices have gone up @400 pounds since release.

There are shortages of all chips at the moment.  The car industry is on short time working all over the world at the moment as supply cannot keep up with demand.

Chip manufacturing is not an on-off industry. Think of a steel works.  Once production ceases it takes time to get all the processes going again.  Many closed down during early lockdowns last year and the added demand for devices during lockdown was not anticipated by the industry. They're struggling now to reach pre-lockdown levels of production but it will come back.

• 2. Administrators
7 minutes ago, Crash said:

I also think it is a very silly price to pay however so are quite a few non essential things. It will probably the last expensive toy I will buy and it should hold some of its value for a few years.

I just equate it to if golf was my hobby.... membership fee's, clubs etc....

@DD_Arthurprices of top end cards had more than doubled in the space of a few years pre pandemic.

• 2. Administrators

Although crypto-currency mining is undoubtably a thing, I think the bigger issue is that the countries where there are big markets for these components currently in lockdown so instead of spending cash on holidays, days out, airshows (cough) etc people are building/upgrading PCs and so stocks get tighter as a result. Scalpers also are a problem and there is evidence that some companies are supporting this trend (MSI were called out on it recently).

The shortage of memory in the wild has lessened over recent months as factories in the Far East have come back on stream. Certainly I had no issues purchasing a 32GB kit a month ago.

Each to their own Kev, but I think 2K is too much to spend on a graphics card when soon you'll be able to spend half that and get an overclocked 3080 and have change. I'm not sure that the extra cost for the 3090 is borne out by the performance gains. What is happening for definite is that manufacturers and suppliers are hiking the prices of the cards they have which does sound rather like profiteering to me. 

Fortunately. in my case my antique 980 will give me 100+ FPS in GBS at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on so although an upgrade would certainly be nice, in the current insanity it's not really a necessary (or viable) course of action. In the meantime I have a big servicing bill coming up for the car and it'll need new boots before the summer so...

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators
3 hours ago, Jabo said:

Although crypto-currency mining is undoubtably a thing, I think the bigger issue is that the countries where there are big markets for these components currently in lockdown so instead of spending cash on holidays, days out, airshows (cough) etc people are building/upgrading PCs and so stocks get tighter as a result. Scalpers also are a problem and there is evidence that some companies are supporting this trend (MSI were called out on it recently).

The shortage of memory in the wild has lessened over recent months as factories in the Far East have come back on stream. Certainly I had no issues purchasing a 32GB kit a month ago.

Each to their own Kev, but I think 2K is too much to spend on a graphics card when soon you'll be able to spend half that and get an overclocked 3080 and have change. I'm not sure that the extra cost for the 3090 is borne out by the performance gains. What is happening for definite is that manufacturers and suppliers are hiking the prices of the cards they have which does sound rather like profiteering to me. 

Fortunately. in my case my antique 980 will give me 100+ FPS in GBS at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on so although an upgrade would certainly be nice, in the current insanity it's not really a necessary (or viable) course of action. In the meantime I have a big servicing bill coming up for the car and it'll need new boots before the summer so...

The memory shortage is specifically linked to DDR6, which doesn't relate to the 32 gig you recently bought. This is the main reason for the short supply on new cards, and why NVidia also have stripped back how much is going to be on 3080 cards from there original design intention. The difference between 10 gig onboard vs 24 gig on board (plus better bandwidth) is a major plus for the 3090. Indeed a 3080 has less on board RAM than my current 2080 Ti, and is one of the main reasons why I'm not particularly considering it as increasing the supersampling ratio in VR eats VRAM, plus real world performance comparisons show a 17% performance increase with the 3080, vs 33% vs the 3090 over my 2080Ti, which isn't enough to warrant it imo for me, and I'm sure that it won't be enough for what I want to do personally re Reverb2. If it wasn't for VR I wouldn't even be considering an upgrade as my 2080Ti runs everything in 4K maxed out (nearly in DCS but everything else anyway) already.

Ultimately, what a user is prepared to pay, comes down to there own disposable finances at that time, and why they want it, the same argument could be levelled at someone who buys a Ferrari as opposed to a Ford Focus, or indeed a cheap second hand car.....

As to getting a 3080 for less than 1000 in the near future (within a year anyway), good luck with that, I hope you will be proved correct, but I sincerely doubt it. Of course we could all wait 3 years and buy a 4070, which will no doubt be better than a 3080 and a lot cheaper, tis the way of things....

• 2 weeks later...

Overclockers have 3 types of 3090s in stock :jig:  But not mine :( The CHEAPEST is £2,399.99 :startle: this is just beyond belief.

Quote from a member of staff at overclocker

BTC is causing major problems and BTC farms are getting their professional miners delivered on time or ahead of scheduled yet us resellers are being drip fed pathetic quantities, we don't even really get more than 2% of what we request. 10% be nice but its not even that!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1. DDz Quorum

Wow Crasheroony, that is just bananas baby .

Those links make for interesting reading.

A mate of mine got a £10,000 short term bank loan last year and bought a Bitcoin at £7000. He used the remainder of the loan to pay the monthly’s for a while. Now he has sold the coin, payed off the loan and made a very tidy profit, (enough to buy a nice car).GIT ! 🙄

• Like 1

I am not too sure how virtual machines would work with flight sims which have lots of quirks like multiple controllers and it must put an extra leg in the ping so 🤔 For VR it would have to be the equivalent of a 5Ghz processer and a 3090. Cant see how it could work.

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

At least nvidia is aware of the situation 

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56114508

It looks in the future there will be 2 types of cards, with dedicated mining cards, and gaming gpu's.

This is already starting with thw 3060, but i guess it won't be until the next generation cycle of cards that this will be fully realised. 

• 2. Administrators

It's not going to be going away anytime soon and remember there's loads of crypto currencies, not just Bitcoin. 

Until the next gen of cards, gamers wanting the latest gpu's are screwed, period.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A couple of years ago now I bought the nice Canon 55 - 250mm all singing, all-dancing zoom lens for my toy specifically to take pictures of aeroplanes.

Yesterday afternoon I finally managed to take some piccies of aeroplanes!

Ladies, gentlemen...and Painless;  I present Sidmouth Airshow and Super-spreader event, 2021:salute:

IMG-1744.jpg

It's a traditional British format; cram as many people as possible onto an uncomfortable beach on a rising tide and put in an extensive p.a. system manned by someone in love with the sound of their own voice.

First up was a display by the Royal Navy's Wildcat.  Great!  Of course being essentially a stupid person, I read this as being one of these

IMG-1734.jpg

Whereas it turned out to be one of these, ho hum... 

IMG-3489.jpg

It did it's thing and was swiftly followed by some sort of Pitts special which in my opinion put on a tremendous show

IMG-3513.jpg

IMG-3540.jpg

This thing is capable of some astonishing prop-hanging

IMG-3531.jpgIMG-3550.jpgIMG-3568.jpg

• Like 1