New Toy Mmm

Jabo

Andy, great shoots and use of HDR. One can lose himself on dramatic styles, like FT's first pic, dunno if it's his or not. I saw yor's . u really tweak the photos very well. I personally use PS CS 5 extended, but that Photomatix looks great for HDR. It's only for that particular effect or one can tweak shadows, Highlights, field of depth  and stuff? 

Anyways, liked a lot your portfolio, m8 

Cheers

• 2. Administrators

Now making extensive use of adobe lightroom, I'm loving the features of that package. Only minor downside is that you need to be shooting in raw to get the benefits, but that's ok as I'm not using jpg now anyway

Well, Arthur, although JPEG is useful for you to see how you pics get, for example , when you shoot in b&W,  the difference is that if u shoot in RAW u get more quality , take more advantage of  the tonal info of the subject,  and u can capture much more details overall.

The RAW file will include more data then a JPEG file, plus give you full control over the contrast, balance and highlight. 

Hope it helps

Cheers

A

yes. that's it. and u can even tweak it even more in Photoshop or Elements or other program that suports RAW files. U get stunning images, without photomontage, u see, cause for me that´s no longer photography but design. well, opinions.

Cheers

A   

RAW files are bigger of course, so you can take less photos.

PS:

Yes Asas, you can adjust shadows and lot's of other stuff with Photomatix.  I don't think FoD, but not sure.  It has about 30 settings, and you can save profiles for the settings.

Thx, Snako, rather cool tuts. I'm more into analogical photograph machines now. I've got a vintage (it was my father's) Minolta Hi-Matic 9, 1966.  Quite cool. But off course it doesn't have the technicals of the digital ones. It's fun.  :)

Cheers

A

well, under exposed it's cool. if u wont to make some kinda design or effect on photoshop, let's say, Nashville effect, the popular instagram effect. I didn't loved the final result either, too over the top, but HDR it's a very cool tool to use. Just saying. 

Anyways, i like more, doing designs and analogical photos. Digital just doesn't have the magical of the "click", you know. loved Andy 's pics, tough 

A

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday was a beautiful, sunny spring day.  At last. It was also my youngest son's eighth birthday.  To celebrate we arranged to meet up with my eldest son who is at Southampton uni.  We live at the western end of the Jurassic coast.  Conveniently, the eastern end of this coast, at a place called Lulworth Cove is the halfway point 'twixt our home and sonny boy's luxury student residence. :rolleyes:  

We meet in the carpark where we find another three thousand people have had the same idea.  Fair enough, it really is the first sunny weekend of this year.

IMG_0527.jpg

Lulworth Cove itself.  One of nature's miracles of physical geography. On the left, the most important people in my universe stand in front of a big lump of engraved  limestone which in essence says "Yer 'ere".

IMG_0556.jpg   

The village of Lulworth itself consists of a pub, several old fishermans cottages,  several old fishermans cottages converted into crappy giftshops and the site of several old fishermans cottages that were levelled to build a truly horrible cafe/takeaway and the world's dustiest carpark.  After a snoop around the cove we head west over a big hill.  Looking back to where we came from.

IMG_0564.jpg

I like big hills. When you get to the top, there's always something interesting on the other side.

IMG_0579.jpg

That's Portland Bill and Weymouth in the distance.  Portland harbour was an important naval base for over a century until very recently and the bay has swallowed more than it's fair share of Heinkels, Stukas and '109's.

Taken from the same spot with full zoom on my spangly 600D.

IMG_0577.jpg  

Yours truly, fat and fifty!!   Aaarghhhh......... Judging by the expression on my face, one of my elder sons must have just asked to borrow some money!

IMG_0610.jpg  

All rather dazzling and blue on this day.

IMG_0622.jpg

The real nugget of gold found on this walk lies just west of here and I merely have to rotate my bulk through one hundred and eighty degrees to find it.

IMG_0634.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durdle_Door

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

He's either playing pocket billiards or trousering the twenty quid I've just handed him.  Finally, since the bank of Dad appears to be open, we return to The Lulworth Inn for some well earned grub. 

IMG_0662.jpg

Very nice Arthur! Blue sky and blue water, how often does that happen? Beatuiful coast.

Jurassic coast, funny name. Is it due to lots of nursery homes in that specific area?

Close to Bovington tank museeum where we visited last summer.

@ Sweper; Yep, Bovington is very close.  This whole area is the home to our Armoured Brigades live firing ranges too and, bizarrely, an old decommissioned nuclear power station!  I think the name is due to the age of the coast and a certain film but this is the area where nearly two hundred years ago Mary Anning and her brother dug a fossillised Ichthyosaur out of these cliffs at a place called Lyme Regis and mankind were forced to consider that creation was a rather older and more complicated process than we had previously thought.

You're quite right though.  This is a very desirable retirement area.  In fact the whole of the south coast of the UK is too these days. The further west you go the crazier our property prices become. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Of course, you could always go for this, Arthur!

5440061715_90502bac3e_z.jpg

Canon's new baby - the EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM extender 1.4x - released this week.

Yours for the princely sum of £11,999 - Yes you do get change from 12 grand! Although if you want the case to go with it, that's another £700!

Bloody!!  £12K?  Well I can understand it in a way 'cause they'll only make two or three hundred anyway and they'll be bought by serious paparazzi who  stand to make possibly hundreds of thousands for a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge in the buff - you know the sort of thing I mean but £700 for the case? Whats it made out of?  Rhino horn?  :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Still constantly impressed wiv' my newish toy.  Went to the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth this week.  Never been before but came away really impressed. 

Also impressed by the pictures my camera took. Flash photography is verboten within the aquarium complex but the image stabilizer system works really well.  Most of these pictures were taken at less than 30th/sec. shutter speeds.

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

Wasn't really sure how any of these would come out as obviously most were taken through thick glass and/or several feet of water but the exposure and auto-focus systems seem to have coped really well.

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

On the way home - as an added bonus, we stopped to climb a buttock-shaped hill. :P  

IMG_2407.jpg