New Toy Mmm

Jabo

Today it did not rain. Praise be.

IMG_0156.jpg

Even better, later on the clouds vanished completely and the moon came out to play. 

IMG_0166.jpg

Taken with my 200mm Dobsonian telescope with the camera mounted via a t-ring to bring it to prime focus.  This picture tells me I really do need  glasses as I couldn't get it to sharp focus on the 3" screen and I must get a remote shutter release to combat the shakes!!

• 2. Administrators

@ Mick :thumbsu:

Hey Arthur, instead of a remote, why not use the self timer? Push the button, retire to a safe distance and wait for the 'click' as the camera takes the picture by itself.

Jabo

I am going to get the remote control release.  Used in conjunction with the mirror lock-up feature should ensure zero vibration. 

@Jabo; I did think of using the self timer but when I was down at the bottom of the garden frollicking in the dark with my missile launcher sized telescope and expensive new camera by the dim light of a red pencil torch I couldn't remember how to set it and I couldn't remember where the instruction manual was. I didn't want to lose my night vision by going back up to the house to find it and I only had another ten minutes or so before the moon passed over the roof line and out of sight. 

Or

I'm an idiot. :thumbsu:   Found the instruction manual this evening in the glove box of my car.  Doh!

You may also consider a wired remote release too. As the wireless will not let you hold the shutter open for extended periods of time. This comes in handy when painting with light, underground or other dark locations, and many other situation where holding the shutter open for several seconds to several minutes without disturbing the camera is required.

• 2. Administrators

Is that so? Verrry interesting Mr Streak - having never had the necessary gizmos to do astrophotography, I'm merely extrapolating from my own experience.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Seeing as you are buying more bits Arthur - I have felt the need to join in. First this;

post-406-0-85127100-1363804820_thumb.jpg

(clue - it's the bit on the top) :thumbsu:

and a new 50mm portrait lens (Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 Mk 2)

and there may be some other bits too!

Jabo

Oh...it's a...it's a....er...genuine Canon furry dildo?   Actually, been using the HD video indoors this week.  Bloody hell!  Very impressive,  I was going to take my mini dvd camcorder to Duxford but I don't think theres any point.

Not too sure if I need anything else yet but if I do I'll be getting it from this mob; 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DCtrade-SHOP

@Streak.  I used to use a cable release with my old Pentax K1000.  This is my first DSLR and I love it but I wouldn't like to drop it!  Unlike my old 35mm film cameras it does not feel substantial or sturdy!! 

A phone?  Never!  How dare you impinge on the second amendment to our (non-existent) British constitution; the right to bear nice tactile Japanese electronic goods with lots of shiny buttons :P

For Fruitbat;  Damien Hurst's attempt at getting more tourists to visit Ilfracombe.  She's a big lass!

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Up 'er klunge shot for Painless!

IMG_0199.jpg

• 2. Administrators

Wow, was he trying to make the most ugly statue of all time?

Mind you, he's as mad as a box of frogs, so......

What do the locals think (those on two legs, not four)?

Awesome photos Arthur. Love those shots of a warm summer day in England, shame about the fog :thumbsu:

What town is this crazy statue in? (edit: ah Ilfracombe) It looks like something from Alien.

As for pics of the moon, a remote shutter with mirror lockup will reduce the shake.