New Toy Mmm

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

I dunno FT, I kinda like it and will probably give it a try now I've got a camera which will do it. That said, for Duxford I'll probably be shooting JPG and RAW format for later photoshopping. I have just received a groupon (voucher thing) for 32GB class 10 SDHC (Patriot) at £15 apiece, so I think I'll probably pick up a couple.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorry, I am probably completely wrong here regarding HDR....

My understanding of 'HDR' is that image altering stuff, that makes it for increased contrast, and other weird stuff, making a normal picture look very 'dramatic'... if you've seen one pic like that, you think 'WOW, that's great, impressive!' , but after you've seen some 10 of 'm, you go 'Yuck, not that HDR again!'

Like this:

post-947-0-93553700-1362090430_thumb.jpg

Hmm.. still waiting for that "But Snacko's HDR looks awesome!" from FT. 

Or... wow!  What an ugly hat..  But it looks good on you.  :thumbsu:

Actually, HDR can modify the picture in many ways.  Mostly it is known for adjusting the under exposed and over exposed areas in the way you mentioned FT.  And that is not necessarily unrealistic.  If you look at a scene, and focus on the bright areas, your eyes will adjust to let in less light.  If you then look at the dark areas, your eyes will adjust to let in more light.  This is how the human eye works, and how we see reality.  Normal photography did not do this in the past.  It just picked an average based on certain criteria and that was applied to the entire photo.  So, HDR 'can' make photos look more realistic.

That said, it can also be overdone.  And we are not used to seeing most photos that way.  Some of mine in my link above are probably overdone on some ways.  To some people.  HDR can also adjust the tone, color, diffusion, and a bunch of other settings.

I personally like it best when it is kept closer to real, and the colors are also kept realistic.

Did you buy this in the UK Nick or get it from Hong-Kong via EBay?  I awarded myself a 600D a couple of weeks ago from HK.

Must admit I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it and with the grotty grey weather we've had lately I haven't had a chance to take it over hill and dale yet.

It's luuuuuuuurvly though! :thumbsu:

@Snacko, I think your HDR is gorgeous and subtly done.  Looking forward to playing with this myself.  Or even looking forward to playing with myself, lol!

My next bit of imminent retail therapy is a large external HD to keep these pics on and a 6600ti :P

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmm.. still waiting for that "But Snacko's HDR looks awesome!" from FT. 

Sorry, you won't get that from me  :tongue1:

Probably I'm used to the traditional photography in such a way that I cannot accept any tricks or editing like that!

(Have looked at some shots in that gallery, but I still think 'overdone'... not as much and not as nasty as the image I posted... but still ... )

What it boils down to is this: One can never ever capture the real image and store it, and display it again as in reality ...

Well, not just yet anyways, where the number of colors and pixels are still way behind those used in RL (*real light*real eyes*real 3D*)...

Oh, and then there's that thing called "calibration"  ... lol.

What I find more important in a photograph is basic lighting and composition: What is visible, where is it in the frame and stuff... that should do just fine to have a fine picture  :headbang:

Then again, I hardly take any photographs anymore. My issue is that my mother used to be a professional photographer, so I grew up being exposed to how one should take good photo's all the time...

• 2. Administrators

It's a genuine UK one Arthur. I toyed with the idea of a squirrel, but decided that I'd rather pay the extra and have the warranty! Incidentally you might want to check your home insurance as they sometimes limit the cover for items used away from the house, I know I've had to up mine for cameras, watches etc in the past.

Jabo

@Jabo; I'm under the impression I've got Canon's own 3 year world-wide warranty with mine.  Almost all Japanese electrical and white goods come with a three year warranty as standard but under EU import rules they're only allowed to offer a one year period because when the rules were drawn up most EU manufacturers only offered a single year.  Gits.

@FT;  I see where you're coming from but surely photography has always been a "trick".  Here you go, 'Moonrise over Hernandez'.

One of the greatest landscape photo's ever taken;

Moonrise-Hernandez-Ansel-Adams.jpg

but didn't Ansell Adams expose the plate over two nights? and he was the master of the printing art too.   Isn't HDR just another tool in the box?  Snacko's composition and lighting looks fairly faultless in those lake shots.

• 2. Administrators

@Arthur - The problem you might have is that Canon UK won't look at the camera because it wasn't bought here. I could be wrong though. Looking forward to Dux now - much camera geekery!

Jabo

You come a long way using RAW. I use the free version for Nikon and it let me adjust EV 4 steps! (-2 to +2), lift shadows, adjust highlights, contrast, colors, color balance etc. etc. All that without "destroing" the photo like editing a JPEG. One could almost get the same effects as if using HDR (of course without the extreme HDR effects and photo mapping).

Did a quick editing of one of my photos from Duxford. Original photo in RAW, a bit dark so I adjusted the EV up a bit trying not to blow out the highlights. F4U frame still dark so I lifted the shadows 50%. Added a tad contrast to get a shinier look on the air frame and also a tad reduced highlights to tone down the brighest clouds.

Before:

8521081494_eb286eafe4_b.jpg

After:

8519970079_2e77084cda_b.jpg

I also tried Photomatix free version long time ago. It was before they put a watermark on the edited photo. I tried to do a so called fake HDR i.e. taking one photo (with my old 5MP Sony W-1), made three copys in PSP, where one copy is -1 EV, one 0, the third +1 EV. Merged them in Photomatix and let the program do its job. Works pretty well, but the best way, the "correct" way, is to capture three or more photos in the camera, make the adjustments in the camera (-1 0 +1). Of course you have to have the camera on a tripod so the photos are aligned from start. Photos below was editied in Photomatix free version back in 2008 (photos was captured earlier than that) with fake HDR which resluted in:

8521081338_27ac91da62_b.jpg

8521081254_2ee004783f_b.jpg

8519969781_3412f357f5_b.jpg

• 2. Administrators

First run out with the new kit today. Just a few.

post-406-0-95010600-1362245840_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-74902600-1362245975_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-24526700-1362246114_thumb.jpg

It's been a gorgeous day here, clear skies, no wind, even a bit warm in the sun!

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Good lord, is that in this country? I do like the contrast between the blue of the sea and the grey and green of the cliffs. Good to see the 'rule of thirds' applied to the composition too. Nice work.

Jabo

Thats looking west from a little place called Mullion Cove down on the Lizard Peninsular.  I had to go down to Truro yesterday (Friday) morning to listen to a very senior driver of the education gravy train talk nonsense for two hours.  Luckily I'm able to claim sixty-three pence per mile for these sort of jaunts at er..........your expense Jabo :salute: .  As it finished earlier than expected and t'was sunny I went on a little diversion with my new toy.  Same spot, looking east into the sun. 

IMG_0022.jpg

Got up early for the light this morning but it was foggy, curses!

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0063-Copy.jpg

Whilst George Washington was giving the Red Coats the runaround, over 'ere they were erecting this fine regency pile that would eventually become the Hotel Riviera on Sidmouth seafront.

IMG_0085.jpg

However, the real gem lies in the narrow back streets behind.

IMG_0077-Copy.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Cor!  It's a thousand years old.