• 2. Administrators

The ATAG guys are doing some amazing work with their upcoming first mod patch, you have to join to see this thread, but wow!

http://theairtactica...pdate-screenies

As i'm quite underwhelmed by all the BoS news, especially by the news that co-op might not even be in at the start, i'm looking forward to this a lot.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2. Administrators

Depressing reading regarding BoS from Bliss,

Re: BoS info update :huh:????

That's the thing. It won't even come close to IL46 - not even in the same league. It will have better graphics, sure, but I don't know one other thing it will surpass it at. The FMB alone in either 46 or Clod is 10x the mission builder in ROF.

I read someone talking about an object they added in the ROF ME that allows you to have explosions (an explosion object I guess lol), and the way it was presented was as if it was something great. I thought about it for a second, then realized the FMB doesn't have an object to manipulate explosions because they actually have objects available to use that actually explode. You don't need to mimic an explosion, just use an explosive object out of the 1000's of bombs, fuel tanks, fuel depots, ammunition, etc., that are available as an object in the 1st place. In IL2COD you can simply just script it in on top of using an object that explodes already in the game.

The biggest thing about IL246/COD is the options - the sandbox if you will. There is no sandbox in ROF. Download the game and look at what settings you have for a server. There is no "dev" console in public ROF, like IL246/COD. For instance, this is a simple list of the most basic server console commands for IL2/COD:
http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...p=show&kid=351
None of this exists in ROF. So as a server host, your options are severely limited, making the game severely limited. IL2COD basically uses the same commands/structure of old IL2. There is no console to type in <help, <tl, <gunstats, <obj<blue, etc., with ROF. There is no possible way to add this type of commander to your server. You are stuck with what the devs give you.

You can't even make a campaign with ROF. There is no loading submissions on top of missions. There's no 3rd party online wars or any of that jazz. There's no moving dog fight servers. It's just a very sterile, stale, environment without the ability to have much go on.

You notice how many people asked about the static/AI object limitations? And yet, of course, there was no answer at all. (I'm not surprised)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this won't come close to what we can do in old 46, not in mission building, not in campaigns, not in anything other than graphics. The DRM is also terrible. Their master browser streams all the data/statistics from servers, meaning servers have to phone home. If this pipeline gets too much data, you will see server stats disappear in game, then the server crashes. That is one of the reasons, (I can tell you this as an old beta tester for ROF), that the object/plane limitations exist in the game. It can only handle so much, then it craps out. Even worse is all the servers phone home to the same spot. That means if there was ever a day that many people were online in ROF, spread out through a bunch of servers, that the master browser is even more inherent to take a crap even though the typical use of 70 online players and 100 static objects hasn't been met yet.

For the online world, this is a disaster. And a very expensive one at that.

I don't know if anyone else caught it, in one of the early answers by Loft/Han, but they said they will be PM/emailing server hosters what limits to use in a mission. I remember they tried pulling that stunt on me, PM'ing me saying "REDUCE THE NUMBER OF OBJECTS ON YOUR MISSION" it is making ROF look bad etc. They basically went so far as to threaten to take my server key away because one of my missions, with very low amounts of players was crashing the master browser. I had put many objects in there (many for ROF / about 1/4 of what I would use for a Clod/46 mission) because a new version of ROF came out. I wanted to see if any headway was made on the game limitations. And immediately the "runners of the master browser saw it" and started PM'ing me, threating me etc.

So I'm here to tell you. I would buy this in a heartbeat, a New York minute, pre-order right now if it was comparable to 46 with better graphics. Cause 46 is simply amazing. But I'm sorry to tell you, this will be a huge down grade from 46, and a century back in time from what's possible in IL2COD. I'm not trying to bash anything, but that's the truth.

I, like others, will wait and see. But as it stands right now, and the answers we've been giving, this does not look promising at all.

plus in the latest dev update,

11) Would mode of coop- missions make in that (or similar) form, as it was in the old IL-2?

We still don't have the exact answer. We believe that it is necessary to make everything well and we don't want to create unpopular modes. Mode of playing together in a modern design should be comfortable. This means working on the servers provided by the operator, this means a convenient system of the mission, and invitations to her friends, statistics and much more. We are now thinking about this game mode, and calculate the opportunity to make it. I cannot answer whether it will be at release or later, but we would like to create something similar.

way to go.....

All in all i'm more exited about CloD modded than RoF with a WWII skin on it.

the part from inside the cockpit looks amazing :thumbsu:

Yeh I'd like to know the vid card and settings that are producing such good shadows in the pits. This video and the others look perfect.

As you know mine don't. Well they didn't I'm not sure if I fired it up the otherday after getting my drivers working.

CloD in great with the last patch.

ATAG missions are very good.

Are DD guys using the ATAG TS or DD TS?

Yes,

So I've heard.

Both depends on whats going on.

Hi virtual pilots!

With the recent announcement that 1C has dropped further development of IL2 Cliffs of Dover, a group of talented programmers and modders called "Team Fusion" have been steadily working on future developments. The 1st internal test version for release candidate 1 is now under full internal testing.

Some of the bug fixes include:

- Flight model correction and the atmospheric engine fixed - This includes historically correct flight models and the high altitude bug being squashed. You will now be able to fly at proper altitudes.

- MP contrails are now visible by every pilot

- Bringing back the original look of weathering and reflections. This also includes the introduction of cockpit glass and cockpit gauge reflections. Depending on sunlight conditions the glass in your cockpit may even have cloud reflections.

- The in-game prop reflections have been greatly improved

- a new device link interface that allows all you virtual pilots with sim pits the ability for device link via IL2 Cliffs of Dover. This has been programmed so ONLY the instruments you have in the particular aircraft you are flying will register with Device link. This has been done to prevent any sort of exploitation of the system

- Numerous bug fixes to various attributes of the aircraft. This includes fixes such as the way fuel delivery works (tank to tank to engine) to incorrect placement of gauges all based on historical accuracy.

- Seasonal map changes of the English Channel map - This includes the standard English Channel Summer map with greatly improved textures, to an Autumn, and Winter versions of the same map

With that said, the 1st patch will focus on what we believe is the most glaring issue of the sim - the flight models. Once we are happy with the accuracy of all aircraft flight models, we will be purging ahead with many other bug fixes and additional content.

The ongoing progress can be seen here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?93-General-Discussion

Thank you,

Team Fusion

I know this is probably a silly question but if a small bunch of disparate guys all around the world can fix the FM's and make it work at high altitude, what on earth have the CLoD team of fifty or so, all together in Moscow, been up to?

My first thought would be they were being beasted by 1C to concentrate on the sequel and were under orders to do the minimum to CoD, and everything they did for Cod was dictated by the loudest community voices asking for Su-26's etc.

I know this is probably a silly question but if a small bunch of disparate guys all around the world can fix the FM's and make it work at high altitude, what on earth have the CLoD team of fifty or so, all together in Moscow, been up to?

My first thought would be they were being beasted by 1C to concentrate on the sequel and were under orders to do the minimum to CoD, and everything they did for Cod was dictated by the loudest community voices asking for Su-26's etc.

I agree with the first bit Bongo but those constant moaning voices constituted 0.0001% of CLoD sales and no-one in Moscow seems to have been able to read the 1C English forums anyway. Why scrap it when we know lots and lots of work had been done on the sequel - after all 777 team seems to be using a lot of it - and then turn round and go into a deal with 777 to make the sequel? 1C management obviously still have faith in the IL2 franchise as a money-making project. They've stumped up more cash to fund the 777 effort.

Bizarre. Does Roman Abramovich have a stake in 1C? :angry:

OK. I will attempt to explain the corporate mentality with a bit of personal experience. I hope I can get this across meaningfully. Pretty much every retail store in this country has what's called an "alarmed exit device" on all of the emergency exits. This is a "panic bar" with an alarm built in to it so that people cant just pop out the back door with all their stolen merchandise. Back in "the day" one could obtain a very high quality unit for $400, and a complete piece of crap would set you back $300. The "powers that be" could not get past the math. It goes like this 1000 stores at $300 each versus 1000 stores at $400 each. They could never seem to factor in the $65 service calls + labor and parts that the $300 device cost on a regular basis compared to the $400 device that would commonly tick like a clock for years. The situation has improved lately only because most of the available devices are halfway decent, but it's still tough to convince people to spend money now against money saved later.

Reapply this little bit of illogic to the flight sim world and you might catch a glimpse of what's going on.

Yeah, I hear you B.A. That's not just a corporate mentality either. Our public services seem to operate the same way.

Well good luck to Team Fusion! For me one of the most sublime experiences in flight simming is still being able to fly the CLoD '109E4 high above the channel and dive on all those Vicars sons poncing-about at low level around Dover harbour! :salute:

• 2. Administrators

Because quite simply they weren't allowed to work on CloD, they had deadlines imposed on them by 1C regarding the 2 sequels, and thats where all their resources were directed.

Its still all rather embarrassing for both 1C and MG though imo, with what is now happening, although i think all 1C really care about is there bank balance.