New Here And To Il-2

OverDhill

• 2. Administrators

don't even have to use nvidia inspector, i run 16xQ aa (prefer it to 32 aa) and 8 x supersampling through the nvidia control panel.

you'd have to have a pretty weak vid card not to be able to run aa with il2 these days.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I am contemplating creating some popup panels to handle the COM actions for IL-2. Being new and still waiting for my HOTAS to start getting serious about this I was wondering how much are these used in the game? Is it worth putting the time in for a single button action for any communication command sent to wingmen ect.

OverDhill

For sure, once you get a new HOTAS it will help loads, with Falcon especially, once you have radar mode, cursor slew, and soft and hard lock (yes there are two types) mapped. In regard the the locking of radar contacts if I remember correctly I have TMS up, down, left and right mapped to my HOTAS castle stick. Hit TMS up once and it soft locks a target, twice gives you a hard lock but also makes the bandit more aware of your intentions. TMS down unlocks contacts. Its really not that bad once you are all set up. I do however understand wanting to focus on one thing at a time so concentrate on IL-2 for since that is the mainstay around here and then later on we can fly some jets.

You made a comment back there about Lock On the sim. Its pretty good and hopefully is getting better now that FC3 will integrate with the other DCS titles with should put it back in the limelight a bit hopefully. It's definitely not as hardcore as Falcon BMS which is more on par with A-10c. There are a few guys round here that fly A-10c and a bit of Blackshark so maybe with the addition of FC3 we can all get together and have some fun with it.

As far as wingman communications, I personally won't put them on my HOTAS but there is a way to use voice recognition software so if you, for instance, want your wingman to attack your target you simple say "Attack my target" into your headset mic and the order will be sent. Takes a bit of setting up but very, very cool once its working.

I have been watching some videos by Tanit on Youtube. They are pretty good but at time he seems to assume you know which key to use without explaining them unless he had a video that went over the key functions that I have not come across.

Spending time going in and out of the game checking key binds I sure wish there was way to silence that guy at the end telling me how bad I am.. hahaha as it gets anoying

OverDhill

• 2. Administrators

Best way to learn quickly, is to jump on TS with one of us, and we can get you up to speed much quicker talking to you real-time one on one :salute:

I can be around a little bit later, just going to get some food now.

OverDhill are you talking about the guy that says "that was a real goat rope." and 'You know, the airlines are hiring'. Don't do the 'Instant Action' missions, either do 'Tactical Engagement' or 'Campaign'. You can hit taxi takeoff if you want to be ready to go on the runways and bypass the whole startup procedure.

As for HOTAS bindings I can't remember them all cause I haven't flown in a few weeks but some of the most important are:

HOTAS - ECM consent toggle

HOTAS - TMS up, down, left and right (usually assigned to substick)

HOTAS - DMS up, down, left and right (usually assigned to substick)

Wpn - Fire Gun

Wpn - Pickle

Cursor slew up, down, left and right (usually assigned to substick)

Radar - antenna tilt down, up and center

Radar - range increase, decrease

Ckpit - Air brake toggle

Radar lock next target, previous target

Optional include:

HOTAS - wheel brakes

Radar A to A

Radar A to G

Dogfight mode

and there may be one or two I missed but in general that should get you started.

This is the CH Fighterstick I currently use for most of my sims, it has 3 substicks and a POV hat stick which really come in handy. The X52 has just as many if I am not mistaken or at least close to it. I'm also using an X52 throttle.

08.jpg

Anyways probably better to focus on IL-2 for now but the information was worth posting anyway not only for you but for anyone else interested who comes across it.

See you in the unfriendly skies.

Thanks for the info...

I installed Hyperlobby and tested getting online with IL-2. I had to turn off Expert MOD to join but it did work and I was able to fly around online. How do you get online with Faclon BMS as I didn't see it listed in Hyperlobby?

OverDhill

• 2. Administrators

When we fly, we don't really go through hyperlobby, as we host for ourselves. As for Falcon, Mayhems the best person to ask as I don't have it myself, if planes don't have the spinny thing on the front, my interest diminishes and by the time of missiles is gone !

Wow, she sounds like a keeper. Falcon BMS is pretty much the same as IL-2 in that most guys just post their IP so you can connect directly. Haven't tried it with Hyperlobby. HL, is a pretty good place to get some fast player vs. player action if you want to hone your skill in my opinion. Either that or join the DDz Ladder matches. I'd consider partaking, but I'm afraid everyone with laugh at my pathetic dogfighting skills. I do much better in the hit and run department, but I know practicing 1 on 1 would help me a lot.

Here is the new HOTAS my wife bought me as a retirement gift. Now if I can get over this head cold I could get down to business setting them up. I fired them up to make sure they work but will have to sit down with a clear head and start using the Target software. Anyone else have this set and use it for IL-2?

thrstmstr_b00419zuxs-03lg.jpg

Well my initial impression of the stick itself... awesome... smooth movement, springs and small deadzone. I still can't believe how bad the X52 Pro was. The stick and throttle are like bricks.. heavy and well built. I actually liked the layout of the X52 Pro throttle.. and really was talking to my wife about getting it and the Fighterstick but she said she wanted me to enjoy my retirement hobby.

I guess my commitment needs to match having this kind of HOTAS.

Still suffering this terrible head cold. I at least wanted to make sure these worked.

Also the other thing she got me was the Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals. I really think they are well built as well and nice and wide.

So no excuses for me

Now to figure out what to bind to what.

OverDhill

Hey ODhill, that is like the holy grail of joysticks you've got there. Of the more expensive ones out there, you got the right one from what I have heard. As for the 45k sim setup, I think I'd rather buy a small plane, speedboat or corvette first, but that's just me.