Issue With Daughters Laptop Would Welcome Advice

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

hello

the laptop heather uses seems to have lost the will to connect to our wireless.

its an internal wireless on the motherboard I assume so cant take out and replace.

i have pluged in a network cable and its fine

i have disabled and re-enabled in device manager

i have un installed and re-installed

I have updated drivers

all i get is the error "windows can not find any networks" when I try a wireless connection

the wireless router is fine (i have been connected to it with my work laptop all afternoon)

any help welcome

Friar (and Heather)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yeah, USB adapter like, should do fine.

Make sure it's one that compatible with yer router, N- and stuff thingies.

Otherwise from removing the adapter (similar to uninstall) then re-booting the pc so it can discover the card itself, I have no other options to tinker with...

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just make sure that you are letting Windows search for the networks or alternatively let your network software do it - check these settings first because that's the same problem we had with Janie's XP laptop. We let Windows do the searching and it was fine.

What Sid said.

Sometimes programs from manufacturers interfere with network search from windows. the best would be to have installed only the driver for the card. without of the rest of the rubbish usually comes with it. windows does fine job with discovering networks.

i know what u r saying Friar. but if u have another sw doing the same thing, windows are not able to find a network. i'm afraid that when the new (same) card comes, u'll have same problem.

wish im wrong.

• 2. Administrators

I think that's Colin's point. The laptop does connect to the network OK via ethernet, just not via wifi. Fortunately, the replacement wireless card is only a few pounds, so it's worth a try even if the problem is something else.

Jabo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr fecking Vista........

After deciding to re-install from the recovery partition of Friday evening and then spending till now to try and bring Vista up to date (its an old machine so lots of patches) it now tells me (after doing multiple updates with the machine running fine that the updates have not installed correctly and that I need to reinstall windows to activate....

Wheres that xp disk..........

• 8 years later...

It seems to be because of the slow speed of the internet. Have you tested the speed of your internet? If not, you should do it now. And for this I would recommend this site ptcl speedput. Make sure that you are getting the actual speed of the internet. There can be a number of reasons behind this problem. Also, check out your router if you are using an old router. You can also set up a wifi booster at your place to give strength to the internet signals by increasing the coverage area.