The Plot Thickens.......

I have a feeling that we will get 1 map and 1 plane free like DCS world and then packs or individual aircraft and generic style maps like Pacific Islands, Desert, Steppes, Western Europe. I dont think we will get maps like we now have.

I have a feeling that we will get 1 map and 1 plane free like DCS world and then packs or individual aircraft and generic style maps like Pacific Islands, Desert, Steppes, Western Europe. I dont think we will get maps like we now have.

No, I think your wrong Crash. We will at first undoubtedly get just the one map but more than one 'plane! They won't be generic maps either but as accurate as they can make them. The RoF model is to pay for continuing development it's true but 777 Studios understand that to do this you need a very high quality bar in everything they do. This means not only exquisite aircraft and maps but that it must all work too. Without this their revenue stream is threatened - people simply won't buy.

I think we'll just have to get used to this business model. The market for a high quality combat flight sim is just too small to support a large studio knocking out one highly complex, complete game in one go. If sales were in the Call of Duty range, i.e. millions of units sold within two months of release then it would be different but unfortunately for us the genre just does not work like this and cannot support these kind of sales figures.

Three or four years ago Jim got Miss Kleaneasy, the UBI forum manager, to find out about sales of IL2. She came back with the figure of just under a million copies of all iterations of IL2 sold by UBISoft over an eight year period. Thats pretty small fry these days. How many copies of SkyRim have been sold since it's release earlier in the year?

What we know of CoD development from Luthier was that the 'planes were uneconomic to produce, taking upto six months work for each one, they were stuck with a game code that was lumpen, easily broken and just plain awkward to work with because of decisions made under Oleg several years ago.

I think the entry of 777 Studios and their team into this is very good news indeed.

As a long time RoF pilot I have to say the idea of using the RoF engine in WWII excites me. I have never been a fan of the business model, although I have spent much more on this game than any other over the years it really has been reasonable compared to the cost of buying a new game every couple of months. I can see myself buying a spitfire, ME109, ME110, etc when they are on sale.

Dear 1C Forum Member!

1C Announces Partnership with 777 Studios to create 1C Game Studios and develop IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

1C is proud to take the next step in flight-simulation history with 777 Studios, a company and team that has grown to be one of the best flight-simulation developers in the world with its project Rise of Flight (http://riseofflight.com). We look forward to bringing a new era of development and spirit of enjoyment to the combat flight-simulation community together.

Battle of Stalingrad will include both single-player and multi-player scenarios for virtual pilots to enjoy as well as brand new gameplay modes. Initial client release is slated for early 2014 with add-on content and additional features and theatres to follow.

You can read the full announcement on the official website of the game located at Il2sturmovik.net.

Please note that the upcoming title will also have a new forum dedicated entirely to IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad. We would like to invite to come and visit the new

IL-2 Sturmovik forum (http://forum.il2sturmovik.net), where you will find additional information about the project and will be able to ask questions and chat with the developers.

Best regards,

1C Game Studios team

• 2. Administrators

you won't be buying a spit or an early 109, not going to be compatible.

I find this

a ) not at all unexpected, as far back as end of oct i was told that this was almost certainly happening,

b ) mixed news, good we're getting a new game on the RoF engine, bad that the things that were better about the CLOD engine are lost for ever, and the loss of the CLOD content for ever, bye bye beautiful spit and early 109.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Basically, yes. The two engines are not cross-compatible.

On a more positive note, the models in RoF are beautiful, so the plane set should look remarkable even if we lose the early spits and 109's for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk