Paging Dr. B16, you have a help request on the white courtesy phone...

Arsenal

Ok, here's the dealio. Lately, as in the past couple of months, I start my computer and get a "Limited or no connectivity error" and cannot get on the internet. I've tried the "repair connection" prompt which has no effect other than hanging for 5 mins or so when attempting to renew my comps IP. Sometimes it clears itself up magically in about 30 mins or so and other times, like last night, it never connected. Once it does connect, I haven't had a connection drop, and it runs like gangbusters.

Here are a few specs/comments:

1] Running Windows XP (SP2)

2] Reseated my ethernet card/ uninstalled and reinstalled / blew dust out

3] I don't use a router, cable goes to modem and then directly to the compy

4] Did multiple virus scans with a number of different programs with no joy other than some spyware. No effect on the connection when removed.

5] Modem is getting signal from the ISP like normal and shows activity.

6] Contacted ISP and they say they have no problems or reports of problems on their end. How true that is, I don't know.

7] Turned firewall on/off to no effect.

8] Reseated all plugs, cables, screws, fasteners, bubblegum. Again with no effect.

9] Pulled hair, cussed and screamed, threatened, cajoled, patted tenderly, kicked viciously, begged, cried, loaded shotgun, apologized, unloaded shotgun. Again, no effect.

Help please!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ahhh. I see you didn't do the obvious and renew the sticky tape...

Bloody hell Arsenal, your system sounds like it is haunted.

What make/model is the network card?

Have you tried a new cable, should cost no more than $5 and can often be the culprit.

Alternatively it could be the cable modem, this is not so easy to diagnose as you will have to rely on status lights which are as much use as a cheap chinese watch.

To isolate run some basic diagnostics:

When 'limited connectivity' occurs does the device manager flag a problem with the network card?

Device manager doesn't show any conflicts or problems.

The card is a Gigabit something or other, not at home right now to tell you. Ironically, I probably won't be able to post tomorrow to tell the exact brand if my internet doesn't work. Grrrr!

I have a few CAT5 cables lying around and work, so I'll "borrow" one and test it out. If that fixes the problem, you can be assured to hear my hand slap my forehead from across the pond!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not the modem since those things are 85-100 bucks, and I'd hate to buy a new one if it didn't fix the problem.

I just don't get how one day it will work or fix itself and the next the totally non-functioning. typically that means some component somewhere is going bad.

• 1. DDz Quorum

That can be a characteristic of cable faults, fritzy one moment fine the next.

It could be a break in the wire, or poor crimping at either end.

I suggested the cable as it is easy to replace, and cheap, and therefore a good starting point.

With regard to the modem, this is tricky considering the cost.

The fault could be a dry joint or a failing component.

I would consider buying/borrowing another ethernet card for testing purposes, unless of course your modem has a USB interface that you could try.

I would send you a card, I have several, but it would take too long to get to you!

A basic card can be bought for as little as $19.99 from Best Buy.

In an ideal world you would have access to a port tester that would help confirm correct operation from your PC up to (but not including) your modem, however some cables will report as OK on these testers yet fail when an attempt is made to pass data over them!

Bloody hell Arsenal, your system sounds like it is haunted.

I was thinking about this comment today, and I think I may have figured out the real reason behind my problem. It's that damn smite I gave you a couple of months ago! C'mon man, it was just a joke, tell the fates to back off!