Tamiya 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.vi

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Well, I tried to put it off, but as it's one of my favourite aircraft, I've had to start the Beaufighter.

post-406-0-40206900-1345055326_thumb.jpg

As the saying goes, 'happiness is big bristols', well,

post-406-0-54964600-1345055414_thumb.jpg

Engine assembly x 2

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Update #1

Built up a few more sections, mindful of the painting issues of course;

post-406-0-19701100-1345074485_thumb.jpg

Test fit of landing gear assy into undercarriage bay

post-406-0-19943000-1345075221_thumb.jpg post-406-0-32498700-1345075257_thumb.jpg post-406-0-44745500-1345075292_thumb.jpg

Break out the paintbrushes tomorrow :D

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

This started out as update #2. Dry fit of center section to fuselage.

post-406-0-34341000-1345422091_thumb.jpg

All well and good you might be forgiven for thinking...Unfortunately I've now tried fitting the lower wing panels only to find that they don't quite fit. This is a little confusing as I'm pretty sure that when I checked the wing - centre section joint a few days ago everything fitted like a glove and now it doesn't which presumably means that the jonts connecting the upper wing to the lower centre section are out somewhere and of course they will not be coming apart any time soon now they're glued in place - bugger. So now I have a little head-scratching to do to 1) find where the problem is and 2) find a way of fixing it. Hmmmm.

Other than that things are coming along nicely with the interior and sundry other bits with will feature in the next update.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

I had a bit of a brainwave this morning and fired off a speculative email to tamiya's uk importer who very kindly came back to me and said I could have both wing sprues sent to me for the very reasonable sum of £6.99! So I have a new set of pristine wings en route and can bodge the original set together for spraying practice!

Woot!

Jabo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2. Administrators

Update #3 - Interior and armament

post-406-0-92592600-1350060893_thumb.jpg

The interior nearing completion, Also shown main and rear instrument panels and rear gun. It's all a bit clean yet, I think a bit of dirtying is required before I think about putting the fuselage together.

I'm not very happy with the instrument panel though, the decals supplied for it don't sit down well due to the raised areas for the egdes of the dials. I'd probably find a different way if I do another one, Actually I'm considering the torp version after this and the others...

• 2. Administrators

the decals are a bit too glossy which makes the panel look patchy. I'm considering a thin coat of satin varnish to even things up when the decals are done followed by a drop of clear adhesive into the well of each dial. Or given that you can't really see the panel I'll glue it in place and forget about it.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Update #4

Been a busy dog today, soon only a small amount of progress made...

post-406-0-74654400-1350171849_thumb.jpg :Dpost-406-0-44465600-1350253496_thumb.jpg

The undercarriage is not fixed in place (and won't be until much later), but the wings and fin are. Tailplane tomorrow and then the bulk of the building is done!

It's all gone together quite well really, there was a small problem with the nose as the joint between the fuselage halves was a tiny bit out (a really tiny bit) and therefore left a big (small really) gap which I didn't like. 30 seconds with a needle file sorted that out and its all good.

Jabo

• 1 year later...
  • 2. Administrators

Update #5

No photos this time but the paintwork is coming along now. Underside is pretty much complete and the desert camo is going on topside too.

Will I have it complete before Duxford? Frankly, probably not given that I've not picked up a brush for several months. However, progress is progress.