New Here, New To Online Play, So I'm A Fresh Target ?

stryker7

Hello all,

A quick hello, and a little about myself.

I am an old dog, semi-retired, married almost 32 years.

I have been playing IL2 since the original IL2 Sturmovik, and all of it's different versions since. PF, Aces, all the way up to 1946. I currently have installs of Stock 4.10.1, Stock 4.11.1, DBW, Up3RC4, and have HSFX6 downloaded and ready to install.

The thing is, that I have never played online. I have not had a Windows computer online since 2001. I use linux for all of my online activities. I have only recently installed Rise of Flight, configured my Linux Router/ Firewall box for access to the internet from windows. I also closed all un-neccesary ports from Windows, and am now online gaming in ROF.

Since I am playing online, there is no way I am going to pass on the opportunity to play IL2 online.

I already chatted with about 3 or 4 fellows from DD in Teamspeak. I wish I had gotten their names, but I am sure that they are around here somewhere. Really nice fellows. And helpful too, one of them set up a DF server, so I could just see if I could connect. I did succesfully and now I just have to figure out when and with who I will fly.

I told them that I would come here and post, introduce myself, and make an effort to locate squads, open servers, etc etc ......

Nice to meet all of you, if you are nearly as friendly as the guys I met on TS3, then we should all get along great.

Look for me in your 6.

Stryker

Howdy Stryker

How could you of possibly resisted the online theater for so long?

I love IL2 and have been with it since the Demo days, but the Human interaction is what kept me going and wanting more.

Its great to see some new blood!

Welcome to the pound M8!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Welcome Stryker,

As a long time Il-2 offliner (and to some regard still to this day) I can say without equivoction that the multi-player aspect of this sim takes a great game an takes it by a quantum leap into new levels of entertainment - and not just going up against a breather in a dogfight, tho I confess my pulse quickens far more when i know or suspect the other machine has an organic brain behind the stick; more the fact that the chaps round these parts are the finest collection of misfits, bounders and just plain idiots (of which I definitively count myself one) you are likely to find on the net. I challenge any other squad to have has much ribald laughter, 'oh crap!' moments and so many double-entendres packed into one evenings flying!

I hope you have many happy flying hours to come with us and please forgive some of our more peculiar tendancies (of which there are many - Painless being one); for sure once you catch the bug from hanging round these parts you find it damn hard to keep away!

Sincerest regards

Fenrir

Hey all,

Thanks for the welcomes and other comments.

I am needing to progam some keys to my homebuilt sim panel (TS PTT, TS Vol Up/ Down, etc) but hope to be online sometime this evening.

I really dont want to have to install Hyperlobby if I can help it. All of the internet security risk is the one thing that has kept me from playing online with anything. All of our internet access since 2001 or so has been in linux.

If anyone, anywhere, will be online tonight and would like to do a little DFing or Coop missions, I will try to be on the DD TS server, sometime this evening.

I know some of you will not be able to pass on the opportunity to fly with the resident "sheep" so to speak. After all, being a fresh target, you should be able to get a little gunnery practice.

BTW, what seems to be the most popular version of IL2, with what mod packs. I dont mind flying stock, but if everyone else is using UP/ or HSFX, I would like to be ready.

Hope to see some of you later.

Stryker

• 1. DDz Quorum

Welcome Stryker.

UP3 is the corrent sudo Official version however we are on the cusp of moving to Hsfx V6.01 as the "Official" dogz version. We are now playing more and more in this new version.

You will not have to have Hyperlobby to fly with us. Generally the host will give you a DNS address to enter in the "Multiplay" screen to correct you directly.

Regards

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Sryker7 sir,

I was one of those online yesterday evening and I'm glad we didn't put you off !! I told you a little about the American Joint-Ops IL2 online school :D.

Some of us will be flying version HSFX6 (probably) this evening (same time as yesterday) I'm sure, hope to see you there.

~S~ Painless.

• 1. DDz Quorum

And welcome to the pound Stryker.

If all worked as it should have done you will have got a PM welcoming you, along with links to some useful sections on the boards here :)

Well, I did not make it Sunday.

Did an install from a 4.11.1 backup, somehow the conf.ini got hosed. But I will get it sorted ASAP.

BTW, was just going to run UP3 from my DBW install, but have decided to do a fresh for it as well.

See you online very soon.

Stryker

Welcome Stryker7! I've been offline for a bit, but I'm back, and I will be hosting this Wednesday night at approx 9:00PM EST (If I'm not there at exactly 9:00, hang on I sometimes get hung up with my other commitments), so come by if you can. I will most likely be hosting HSFX6, but if there is anyone who doesn't have it, I'll revert to UP3. The first rule here is "everyone flies".

I can relate with the IL2 problems. It is after all an 11 year old game, adapted and refitted to our modern 'puters, it can be a real PITA! Hope everything works out.

BadAim,

I am working to get this thing working, and now have a goal of 21:00 EST Wednesday. Thanks for the invite, hope to see you then.

I think I have it almost sorted. Copied over my conf.ini, and settings.ini from a DBW install. Problems are all associated with [Mods] section of conf.ini, leftovers from hud mods, pov mods, etc etc ....

The settings.ini was problematic, from the assignments made to the power settings for seperate gear up/ down, etc .... But as you can tell, I have figured out what the problems are, so sorting em out is a lot easier now.

Diagnose, then fix.

I am loathe to ask for help, as I learn more when I RTFM, and there is a wealth of info here.

Onward and upward. See you 21:00 Wednesday.

Welcome to the pound Stryker! So, where abouts are you located in the US? I grew up in a little town about 5 miles from a littler town called Stryker, Ohio!

I fly on Wed nights with BA as well. I just moved from Cincinnati to Columbus, Ohio last winter.

Look forward to flying with you soon... ;)