finland - russia

JensenPark

question I'd throw out there:

Wonder why the Soviets didn't go in and finish off Finland (no pun intended) after (or during) the war?

I mean, it's not as if Stalin wasn't looking to expand the empire - and they obviously had 'history'.

Yea, the Finns fought well in the 'continuation war' etc, but I couldn't imagine them having a chance against the USSR of 1945...

appreciate your thoughts on this...

Harrison Salisbury! Great - epic -definitive book (Just skip over the Russian poetry parts!)

I think they didn't swallow up Finland at the end of the war because there was no need to. If the USSR wanted something from Finland, resources, concession, etc they would get it. Finland signed a pact with USSR at the end of the war stating that while they were not allied with the USSR, if an attack on the USSR passed through Finland, then Finland would resist and repulse it. The term became known as Finlandization and is sometimes applied to Canada and our participation in North American Defence (I.E. NORAD, DEW Line etc.) In Finland and Canada's case geography dictated policy. One disgruntled Canadian diplomat disparagingly remarked that "we are all stuck on our flypaper".

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~

What a fascinating thread !! Not a topic I've ever known that much about other than watching Discovery channel documentaries on the subject.

None of it surprises me in as far as the way in which the Finns were regarded.

Having talked to Klinger , who as some of you know