Advice For My New Rig

BluBear

Hi chaps!

Spurred on by a great weekend at Duxford and rather missing my flying with the Dogz I am once again giving some serious thought into building a new rig.

With just 5 mins at ebuyer, i've come up with the following list as a guide to my requirements/budget.

If you guys could steer me towards better combinations of parts or better deals or any thing at all that would really help.

GFX will be courtesy of Fruitbat/Fenrir in the way of a 280 I believe, until I have some more cash to throw at a new card!

Should I go for a SSD drive for OS/applications straight off?

I see there is now a i5 3570K for only £8 more, would it be better? > http://www.ebuyer.co...-bx80637i53570k

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £171.62

Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155 Onboard graphics output 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £87.99

Coolermaster Silencio 550 with GX 550W PSU £102.87

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered £80.09

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache £62.99

Crucial 64GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 500MB/s Write 95MB/s - 3 Year Warranty £58.00

LG IPS235V IPS LCD LED 23" HDMI Monitor £134.99

HDMI Cable 1.4 Black 2 Metre £4.99

Cart total inc vat: £703.54

• 2. Administrators

Not sure if i would stick with 550w, doesn't give you any real possibility of sli in the future,

found this,

http://www.ebuyer.co...-rc-502-kwa1-jp

Bit cheaper and 650w.

However coolermaster cases are awesome, its what i use.

The rest looks great.

The 2500K is just a great processor, I have heard great things about it. I built a rig for my brother-in-law and he seems happy with it. Pretty much the best bang-for-buck CPU out there (or was 5 months ago).

• 2. Administrators

I don't know much about that one yet, but since you can overclock the i5 2500k to buggery to @4Ghz on air easily anyway........

I'll have a read around later.

The i5 3570K is the new Ivybridge patten 22nm instead of the sandy bridge 32nm. It is clocked slightly higher, and has slightly better support for things such as pci-e 3.0 and should have a lower power consumption (which should lead to a lower temp, but I've read reports of it being slightly hotter due to the die-shrink). If it is only 8£ more go for it.

So perhaps stick with the 2500K then?

To throw another thing out there. I feel as a current AMD user, it would be wrong of me to perhaps consider their options...

Fen has the X4 and loves it. I've just seen this, it's quite a bit cheaper than the i5, is it worth entertaining at all? http://www.ebuyer.com/186428-amd-phenom-ii-x4-965-black-edition-3-4ghz-socket-am3-6mb-l3-hdz965fbgmbox

Intel is your best bet these days. I use a 17-2600k (they didn't have the i5 in stock). Unless you have cooling issues in general or plan to overclock the CPU substantially there is nothing bad with the 3570.

• 2. Administrators

To throw another thing out there. I feel as a current AMD user, it would be wrong of me to perhaps consider their options...

Fen has the X4 and loves it. I've just seen this, it's quite a bit cheaper than the i5, is it worth entertaining at all? http://www.ebuyer.co...3-hdz965fbgmbox

No.

Fen has the X4 and loves it. I've just seen this, it's quite a bit cheaper than the i5, is it worth entertaining at all? http://www.ebuyer.co...3-hdz965fbgmbox

No.

Nice one Kev!

post-467-0-42852400-1341238977_thumb.jpg

So chaps, here's my updated spec!

The mobo comes with 2 sata cables and i already have a mouse/keyboard and DVD-RW drive.

Are there any components that you know have better/cheaper alternatives, or is this a decent marriage of parts?

I'm so out of the loop these days.

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £171.62

Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155 Onboard graphics output 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £87.99

Coolermaster Centurion 5 II SPECIAL EDITION Case with Red Interior - With Coolermaster 650W GX PSU£89.99

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered £80.43

Crucial 64GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 500MB/s Write 95MB/s - 3 Year Warranty £58.00

Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache £69.99

LG IPS235V IPS LCD LED 23" HDMI Monitor £129.99

Xenta DVI-D Dual Link Black Replacement Cable - 3 Metre £4.38

Cart total inc vat: £692.39

It's got me a little excited that I could have a pretty darn good new rig for well under a grand.

Didn't think it was possible to be honest!

• 2. Administrators

you're going to wet yourself when you fire up HSFX 6 / UP3 on that for the first time.

throw this at it the next time you have a bit of spare cash afterwards,

http://www.ebuyer.co...-426018336-1848

and you be able to play clod maxed out as well as DCS and RoF to the max without any issues (well your be able to play Clod maxed out with its inerrant issues!) B)

• 2. Administrators

Personally, I'd ditch the SSD and go for (say) a regular 500GB SATA III drive for your OS and applications. As I said, it's personal, but I have misgivings over the longevity/reliability of SSD drives.

Rest of it looks good from a first glance.

Jabo