Computer Hell

APHill

Hi Gents,

I am ready to toss this computer on the trash heap. I have lockups on startup, shutdown and now blue screens of death somtime on startup sometimes on shutdown and sometimes when I am just reading a post on our web sight.

It is very unreliable and unstable. I have reformated several times. I havent added new hardware. I am attaching my dxdiag maybe someone can see something in there that is a problem. I am thinking I may have a hardware problem of some type. I am ready to just buy a whole new rig if neccesary. I am open to suggestions as to what to buy. I just want a fast rig that is fast with a great video card and is stable.

Thanks for any assistance

AP

DxDiag.txt

• 1. DDz Quorum

Got any files in C:\Windows\Minidump?

If you do, attach latest to post and I will analyse for you.

These files can tell you exactly what is causing the crash.

Hi AP, I have several questions for you if you don't mind.

When you reformatted did the process report any issues with the hard drive? Before reinstalling windows did you run CHKDSK? If so were there errors reported at that time? If there were did you run CHKDSK again until there were no errors reported?

Other causes for the ntoskrnl.exe driver to crash (which is causing the BSOD as reported by your memory dump) are memory errors. Have you run any memory test programs yet? Have you tried to remove all but one memory card and have you tried placing that card in different slots? Some memory brands have had issues (even long after initial installation) that have to do with bios updates. An update in Windows could cause a conflict with certain memory (or any hardware for that matter) which require a simple bios update of that hardware.

Are you loading the Nvidia GPU driver each time, does it crash before that driver is loaded or after?

Lets get this thing fixed.

David

Quick update:

Your DxDiag shows that you are using a SSD hard drive. There is a known issue with these drive causing BSOD and constant crashes ( with some, not all) with windows 7 (yes, even after it has been installed for a long time. Has to do with the number of boots, or some such).

A firmware update is required.

Here is a bit of information on the issue:

http://www.techsuppo...sod-644677.html

You might check with the manufacture of your model and see if there is a firmware upgrade for it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Tom.

Looks like Avast is your issue:

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: AvastSvc.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

Try un-installing it and see if that resolves it (use Microsoft essentials temporarily if concerned).

If it crashes again send the dmp file again.

Have you also tried reseating your RAM too just in case?

PropNut came up with some good threads to investigate too!

Wow! Many thanks for the replies!

First, I will uninstall avast. I have no other antivirus programs. The lockup on startup predates it, not so much the BSOD. I had Kapersky before that. (What is a good antivirus program to have?)

I havn't tried reseating the ram but I will. I have had a feeling I have a ram problem, I am not realy crazy about the SSHD either it was my sons idea. I have as little as possible installed on it. I have another internal (not SS) hard drive and tw big external harddrive for all my games IL2, ROF etc.

>>>>>When you reformatted did the process report any issues with the hard drive?<<< ( no) >>>Before reinstalling windows did you run CHKDSK?<<<< (no)

>>>Other causes for the ntoskrnl.exe driver to crash (which is causing the BSOD as reported by your memory dump) are memory errors. Have you run any memory test programs yet?<<< (no) >>>>Have you tried to remove all but one memory card and have you tried placing that card in different slots?<<<<(no) >>>>Some memory brands have had issues (even long after initial installation) that have to do with bios updates. An update in Windows could cause a conflict with certain memory (or any hardware for that matter) which require a simple bios update of that hardware.<<<< (How do I do a bios update?)

>>>>>Are you loading the Nvidia GPU driver each time, does it crash before that driver is loaded or after?<<<< (Yes, since I install it right away I dont know if it has a crashing issue before, it does after though)

>>>Lets get this thing fixed.<<<< YEs!! thank you! thank you! thank you!

I hope it can be as I think (correct me if I'm wrong) its a pretty good computer, hardware wise.

could we get on TS sometime at your convience and discuss it futher?

I used to think I am somwhat computer literate but after reading both of your replies, I feel like a total noob! LOL!

Thanks again Roger and David for the help!

Well, I pulled the ram and reset both of them. Computer starts for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and then restarts. One problem, the monitor wont come on so I dont think the coumputer is booting up.

So I am now dead in the water. I must have jarred something loose.

Anyway it may be a while beforeI am back. I am using the wifes computer at this time. Prop, could you send me your e mail address? My computer is over at my sons place to be looked at. He built it so hopfully he can fix it. In the meantime what new rig would you recomend if I end up buying another one? I think I remember trhat yours is more powerful than mine and is stable.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

You computer is first rate, you would not see a huge improvement by upgrading. I doubt that there is very much wrong with your PC, at the very very worst perhaps the motherboard has an issue but that is a fairly cheap fix (50.00-100.00). I am betting on an issue with either the memory or the SSD (more toward the SSD). Did you try removing it and installing windows on one of the large hard drives?

Anyway, I will PM you my phone number (I think I did before when I made you the button box). Give me a call and we will see what can be worked out (that is if your son does not come up with the fix). You are fairly close so shipping it over here or even meeting in Lansing some evening for dinner would not be a big deal.

David

Hi David

I talked to my son this afternoon.After having the same problem I did, he pulled one of the ram cards and it started on the other one. He reseated the one he had pulled and it ran. He did a firmware upgrade to the SSD . I am going over to his place tommorow to be instructed in how to find the proper drivers and learn about firmware thingies.

Bottom line is I should have a computer by tomorrow late evening.I fully expect that from time to time I will have problems, I just hope it quits with the lock ups and the BSOD.

I do live close enough to you to that I would come over to your place if neccesary, in the future.

This whole thing started back a few months ago when I picked up a virus and had to reformat. Thats when all of my problems began. I think it is the way my sone knows how to install proper drivers (not from the CD that came with the motherboard for example and I dont.

Anyway I apprieciate your input and please feel free to keep inputing! I need all the help I can get.