Raf Memorial Flight Fly Over The Palace

DD_Brando

• 2. Administrators

some more stuff,

vid from inside one of the spitfires during the flyby B)

and from the lanc (vid linked from the BBC by Brando if you can't watch it abroad).

[media=]

so cynical arthur, so cynical............ :lol:

Sorry. Our defence procurement seems to bring out the worst in me. We're building two fleet carriers. Thats TWO fleet carriers. One of which will be launched, equipped with an engine and then mothballed. In this context mothballed means "until the Indian navy can stump up the cash to buy it at a knock-down price." The other one will be equipped with the VTOL F35 which, I understand, will be self-basting and oven-ready.

We are still unable to equip our infantry with a decent pair of boots or a decent APC to get in that won't be vulnerable to a religious maniac with an RPG! I think I'll shut my big gob up now.

p.s. fantastic air to air from the spitty! :D

• 2. Administrators

Re procurement, this stat probably won't make you feel any better, but it goes some way to explain why we're so hopeless at it,

"When it comes to military procurement, Israel spends £9 billion a year and administers its purchases with 400 people. Britain spends £10 billion annually on procurement and has a staff of 23,700 to do it."

Source, channel 4 news

It is a something that annoys the hell out of me also.

If we assume that the average wage is £30,000 for these 23,300 extra people, which it won't be (since most are pensioned off high ranking officers), it will be much more, but using that figure, that works out at £699,000,000 in extra wages for a start.

Worth every penny.....

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but currently the RAF has fewer frontline combat aircraft than Saudi Arabia. However, your pilots and their training is far superior.

As for your planned Aircraft Carriers. They are being designed specifically for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. But because of cost overruns and scheduling delays, it is looking less and less likely that the Navy version of the F-35 will ever be produced. The U.S. Air Force and Marine Corps versions may be produced, but that is dependant upon the Contractor getting back on schedule and getting cost under control.

Hopefully the UK Defense Ministry will hold off on building these Carriers until they are sure that they will have aircraft for them. But if the UK is like the US, then I as a tax payer would be a little nervous.

As we say in Texas.

"How can you tell when a politician is lying?" ....................... "Their lips move!"

Our new carriers are being built as apparently the penalty clauses for cancellation mean we're better off with them than without them. Unfortunately neither of them will have a "steam room" which means no catapult! Therefore, if the VTOL F35 is cancelled we will be left with two magnificent grey boxes flying nought but the white ensign.

God save the Queen!

Our new carriers are being built as apparently the penalty clauses for cancellation mean we're better off with them than without them. Unfortunately neither of them will have a "steam room" which means no catapult! Therefore, if the VTOL F35 is cancelled we will be left with two magnificent grey boxes flying nought but the white ensign.

God save the Queen!

I thought it was meant to have the new EMALS (electro magnetic) launch system so no need for a steam room, I can't believe we've changed our minds again and gone back to the VTOL vesion of the F-35, the maintenance on that lift fan would probably cost more than maintaining 2 launchers and arresting gear.