Wing Mounted Rockets...yes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick heads up. Version 1.028 is just about to be released which will give us the Brandenburg W12 and an ability to take off from lakes and rivers on the current map.

However, it's also going to render any tracks of the action you might have made unusable.

Jason's advice;

http://riseofflight....pic.php?t=32598

Rise of Flights first seaplane, along with the technical changes to allow it to land on rivers and lakes has arrived. A rather nice looker too. Check out the reflection on the water :)

2012_9_17__22_0_56.jpg

She's got a handy steering wheel too and the unusual layout of the tail plane gives the rear gunner a wide, unrestricted field of fire

2012_9_17__22_3_20.jpg

So best to concentrate on killing him first! :o

2012_9_17__22_49_39.jpg

Issa very lovely thing m8. :wub: 'Specially when you enable post effects and get all those water droplets on the ol' goggles.

2012_9_18__23_19_56_zps2a14cd0a.jpg

I think the changes to the water has enhanced it's reflective capabilities. Trying to capture the 'plane, it's shadow and it's reflection.

2012_9_18__23_34_3_zpsfbc9f87b.jpg

You can set strong winds in the QMB, land yer' seaplane and it'll weathervane into the wind. Really nice touch. :D

2012_9_18__19_51_37.jpg

Stop Press!

Rise of Flight team release patch 1.028b!

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=32727

Sounds interesting. This is what I really like about RoF. You pays yer' money but you get regular updates, patches and sheer enthusiasm from this team of devs. It's very hard not to contrast this with the increasingly Stalinist "take it or leave it you whinging bastards" attitude of the CLoD team.

• 2. Administrators

I concur - I know I've expressed my doubts over ROF's business model in the past (and MS Flight's for that matter), but having spent some time on the ROF forum recently, I'm definitely undergoing a change of mind (I can't say the same for Flight tho). I'm really liking both the style and content of the posts from the dev team and for that matter the generally respectful behaviour of the community over there in stark contrast to the generally bitchy and whiny goings on over at 1c. I can't help wondering if you get the dev team you deserve.

Jabo

Lol, Snacko m8. Yeah, the sales can be a bit of a shock to the wallet! :P

I have very occasionally flown with PropNut, Gustang and A.P. Hill but they fly evening EST and that's about 2 a.m. here. If I fly online I usually use the Syndicate server or New Wings wargrounds.

During Euro evening times the Syndicate server can sometimes have fifty or sixty people on it. I'm usually very much an online guy. However, just this last couple of weeks I've been using something called the PWCG - Pat A. Wilson's campaign generator. This is a really rather nice piece of work that Pat has put an awful lot of effort into for the community to enjoy.

You can get it here;

http://riseofflight....usefulmaterials

Once installed you get an introductory screen featuring two vicious chickens battling it out and a range of options to select.

javaw2012-09-2101-20-01-69_zps06122f6f.jpg

As you can see on the right, I have two careers running at the moment. Sub-Lt. Arthur Ponsonby-Smedley is a reconnaissance and bomber pilot in the Royal Naval Air Service in the fall of 1917.

Here he is interdicting vital Bratwurst supplies to the front

2012_5_25__21_10_25.jpg

As lots of the British aristocracy are related to krauts of one sort or another and I'm simpatico to the EU, we also have Arthur's Prussian cousin Baldur Von Smedley flying scouts for the Kriegsmarine.

2012_9_19__19_40_8_zpsc5c84647.jpg

You can also select a French or American campaign.

On the left you have options for density which means how many planes are in the sky at one time. With my dual core/gtx460 system I have it on medium. You click on planes owned to let the utility know what you are able to fly

javaw%202012-09-19%2019-54-07-79_zps761b23ef.jpg

After eighteen months and $200+ I have all of it! :wacko: . Then you click on the advanced config button to bring up a huge range of preferences regarding mission types, flight time, formations, altitude ranges, odds of meeting the enemy, colour of underwear, etc. etc.

javaw%202012-09-19%2019-55-39-89_zps001cd506.jpg

It all works quite simply. First fire up the PWCG, select your campaign then hit generate mission. It produces this;

javaw2012-09-2101-06-34-62_zps62849cfe.jpg

If you accept the mission it generates a single mission in the RoF game folder. You then fire up RoF and select single mission and get something like this;

rof2012-09-2101-11-13-16_zpsfab365af.jpg

You then fly the mission and the results are recorded by the PWCG in the form of a combat report which you are encouraged to add to ("saw Huns, ran away") and stored for future review.

There's all sorts of other stuff too but that's essentially what it does.

The game itself also has it's own career mode but Pat's missions are apparently better than the official ones. For a start, they all take place at a more realistic altitude and I also fly these in Mods On mode which allows me to use an enemy a.i. mod that cures the oppositions tendency to go into wide, downward spirals. Also the b career in RoF dosen't have anywhere near the range of options that Pat gives you.

Most importantly of all, it gives a pause button so I can answer the call of wife and the call of kids. S! :D

• 1 month later...

Hello, quick news update over at the RoF forum.

http://riseofflight....gs/default.aspx

Ships, flying boats, diving submarines and Hastings!! The butt-hole of East Sussex. Once a month when I was a kid we had to drive down there to be poisoned by Grandma's cooking followed by an arse freezing walk among the tank traps at Glynde Gap beach.

Oh memories!

2012_6_27__22_1_27.jpg

Let the bombing commence! B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

The game itself also has it's own career mode but Pat's missions are apparently better than the official ones. For a start, they all take place at a more realistic altitude and I also fly these in Mods On mode which allows me to use an enemy a.i. mod that cures the oppositions tendency to go into wide, downward spirals. Also the b career in RoF dosen't have anywhere near the range of options that Pat gives you.

tell me more, linky please ;)

EDIT, nevermind found it.

'Ere you go me old fruit :)

http://riseofflight....p?f=278&t=22864

Criquets a.i. mod is infact the original RoF a.i. routine that was changed by popular request for reasons that are beyond me.

Thought you might be interested in this handy jsgme organisation but I'd read the notes thoroughly as some of these are not needed with the present version of the game.......................................er...I think.

Edit;

You might be interested in this too. I haven't got round to playing with this in RoF yet but it works wonders in CLoD.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=33795

Unlike CLoD, in RoF the guy who owns the whole shebang actually communicates directly with his customers!

Some screenies of my RoF install using something called SweetFX to alter the appearance of the game. I've been using the same thing in CLoD too. Handy link;

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=33795

Worth a good read, especially the bit about making a back-up of your RoF install! I'm posting a few before's and afters but screenies don't do justice to how much this utility can change the colours and textures in RoF.

SweetFX off

rof2012-11-3018-54-39-80.jpg

SweetFX on using Jason's settings

rof2012-11-3018-54-27-72.jpg

rof2012-11-3019-13-08-88.jpg

rof2012-11-3019-13-13-75.jpg

rof2012-11-3019-24-11-45.jpg

rof2012-11-3019-24-14-11.jpg

Toad got a server up and running really nicely yesterday. It seems Toad and Fruitbat were anxious that their lack of flying time in the sim would make them easy meat for an ace like me with hundreds of hours in this thing! We had a few ladder style one on one's where I managed to reassure them of their skills by spinning in my Camel and then getting myself thoroughly shot-up in an Albi DIII. :rolleyes:

I suspect that these two would have had no trouble in the real thing! My last match was with Toad in the relatively easy to fly SE5a.

This quickly turned into a ten-minute knife-fight at low-level.

2012_12_13__0_54_47.jpg

Eventually I managed to get a few hits into Toad's wing and motor which allowed me to work my way onto his six consistently and start plastering him.

2012_12_13__1_1_26.jpg

Fruitbat sucked anxiously on his fag by the window as we battled it out and Toad's SE5 took more and more hits!

2012_12_13__1_1_35.jpg

Then he pulled the move of the match as we came out of scissors and I thought I had him. By hanging on the prop and using his top wing Lewis he gave me a serious raking through the vitals!

2012_12_13__1_3_30.jpg

Despite the full jam on the goggles effect I eventually managed to force him into the drink.

2012_12_13__0_43_2.jpg

At last! Ha ha! Victory is..........................................................................................................bugger.

2012_12_13__0_42_36.jpg

:salute: