Found Something In The Woods

Sweper

Found an airdefence tower in the woods. I new it was in the area but not exacty where. It was built during the years of WW2 to protect two power stations. It was equipped with a 40mm flak gun at top. Also took a couple of photos on the surroundings. Pic with 40mm I stole from internet...

Photos at top of main page. Dont know how to implement photos from the Gallery in the thread.

• 1. DDz Quorum

gallery_540_80_29221.jpg

Putting images in is quite easy I hope:

1. Upload to gallery
  2. View image and click Options button to right:
    post-284-0-08117900-1338062470_thumb.png
  3. Select 'Share Links' option and you get:
    post-284-0-84310400-1338062516_thumb.png
  4. Select the top option, and copy contents
  5. Paste into the post and you are done :)

Thanks Rog. A fraction akward since you have to jump back and forth. Maby a multi image insert could work.

Painless. Yea, no, some historical society have guided tours where they allow you climbing the tower and sit in the flak-gun chair. Me think.

Neat!

When I was a boy visiting my grandparents in SW France (in the '80s) the blockhouses of the Atlantic wall were still sitting in the sand dunes... Today, for the most part, they've fallen into the sea as a result of erosion, though a few remain inland, covered in graffiti, if you know where to look for them. Of course, north of the Gironde river, where the coastline is composed of earth or rock rather than sand, the blockhouses remain. Perhaps in two thousand years they will remain, as enigmatic to our descendants as the dolmen and menhir are to us... :)

The amount of concrete poured by the Germans in Europe in '42-43 was absolutely phenomenal: the Wall used up over 17 million cubic metres of concrete and 1.2 million tonnes of steel.

C_G