Putting Faces to Names

Sloan

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Minneapolis on business this week and was fortunate enough to be able to meet with Gustang while I was there. We went to the Mall of the Americas (right across the street from my hotel) one night and had a nice dinner, talked gaming ... complained about PropNut ... the usual.

Then we wandered over to a shop I'd seen the night before, A.C.E.S. - Flight Simulation. http://www.flyaces.com/index.html

Of course Gustang and I have played IL-2 and ROF for some time now and while I didn't expect this to be up to military standards I thought it might be fun to give it a whirl as long as we were there. We paid the fees and they sent us to the back to the "Briefing Room" where we were treated to such enlightening gems as "90% of the flight control is with the Flight Stick, or stick for short. Grasp the stick with your right hand."

Having absorbed that bit of wisdom it went on to discuss the use of rudders to control something called "yaw" and "coordinated turns" ... I began to get a bit worried at that point.

Nonetheless we were ushered to the cockpits ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40394335@N08/6244789868/

Climbed in and put on the headsets ... yes, they had comms too.

They fired it up and it was not, let me make this clear, like IL2 ... It WAS IL2 ... exactly IL2 with ID tags and everything. Well not quite everything, there was no Track IR so we both had to relearn old habits and use the hat switch.

But hey, it was fun anyway and while I'm on the road on business I don't get a chance to fly sims very often ... like at all ... so it was all good.

And I got to meet Tim (Gustang) in real life and that's always nice ... as was Tim, a great guy.

JoeBob

Bah, I thought my eyes were half-closed when the flash went off! Oh well... Anyway, many thanks again, Joe (and WF), for the evening and for footing the (entire) bill! It was a good time and I'm glad we got a chance to sit for a while.