Putting Faces to Names

Sloan

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea there Sloan.

Here's a shot of the Wife and kids and I out on the arm of Crazy Horse last June......

Custer048.jpg

and one of me and a couple of my other "kids" :wink:

RedGuitars.jpg

EDIT: Wanted to add a couple of pics here just for the heck of it. No pics of me here (I know you're all breathing a sigh of relief to that! :wink:) but here's a couple of shots I took of a very nice P-51D at the airshow at Offutt AFB in August 2004. This plane crashed and the pilot was killed in July 2005 at a warbirds airshow in Wisconsin. Here's a salute to Richard James, the pilot - for his service and a wonderful restoration of a beautiful plane.....

P511.jpg

I love the detail of this (I assume to be original) gun convergence chart and loading placard!

p51gun.jpg

Well, my playing is certainly nothing flashy, but I like to noodle around with them a bit - and collect a little as well. Nothing real fancy here either. I currently own...

2005 Epiphone Les Paul Standard (in the pic)

1991 Jackson USA SL-1 Soloist (by far the best of the lot. Safely tucked away in her case!)

199? Alvarez Dana Scoop (in the pic)

2002 Takamine EG530-C Electric/Acoutic Dreadnought

197? Kingston Strat Copy (the oldest daughter's guitar now - sho says she)

198? Bently Acoustic thin body

196? Teisco - some kind of cheap Japanese hollow body electric that just looks cool!

199? Ibanez/Soundgear SR-400 bass.

2005 Incredibly cheap Rogue mandolin that I picked up just for fun.

I used to have a Westone electric SG copy. Was a great guitar. Wish I never sold it, but the girlfriend of the guy who owned it 20 some years ago found out that I had it, and wanted to buy it back from me. Said he was sick and really wanted his first guitar back before he died or some line like that. Dunno if it was true or not, but I figure if it was - I probably would've felt real bad if I declined. Either that, or karma would have it's way with me! ;)

I recently purchased a Line 6 PODxt Live effects unit - upgraded from a Digitech GSP-21 Legend. This Line 6 has a slew of amp and effects models in it and sounds AMAZING. Best music purchase I've made in ten years!........

So - what kind of music do you like to play? In a band or just a noodler too?

Another Bassist here. I've bee playing music continuously from 1971 until 2004 when things began to slow down. Mostly me LOL! I don't play as much as before.

Prior to that (and during) I did sound for bar bands that traveled the Northwest circuit and have had the honor to mix for The Leslie West Band (post Mountain) and Bobby "Blues" Bland. Bobby Bland hired me to mix for him on the West Coast leg of his US tour in 1972. I also spent 6 months in New York City doing session work and got to meet several "big names", including Hall and Oates, Madonna (before she was famous), Dave Allen of Gang Of Four and Etta James.

For instruments I have a 1972 Fender Precision with, according to the Serial Number stamped on the neck, one of the last Pre-CBS fretted maple neck. No maple fingerboard over a maple neck but frets right in the neck. Also I have a 5 String Fender/Precision body fitted with Jazz Bass pickups, a Danelectro single pickup bass from the early '60 with the masonite sandwich body, a Danelectro Longhorn re-issue bass, a 1970 Fender Mustang guitar that's Candy Apple red w/matching headstock and white racing stripe, and a shocking pink Fender Stratocaster w/Floyd Rose whammy and no pickguard. One of 200 made. I have been offed as much as $2000 for it.

I play through a GK 200 watt head but primarily through a 400 watt Hartke head coupled to a variety of custom enclosures ranging from a stereo pair of 10"ers, a pair of single 15"ers, and an 18"er. I just assemble the right setup for the size of room and type of music I'm playing. I've played everything from straight up Chicago style blues to Country Swing to Punk to Jazz. I even played in an experimental band that NEVER played the same song twice..........and they were all originals, made up on the spot. Sounds like a jam band? No, Clive Davis of Capitol Records expressed an interest in us when he saw us open for a local band on the rise. He talked with us more than them. (they hated us after that, felt we robbed them of the "Big Time"). But since we couldn't/wouldn't go on tour and support any album we made, (becuase we NEVER played the same song twice) Capitol decided we didn't have "Commercial Potential".

Music now is mostly original alt/pop with the ocassional tasty cover. Newest project is all instrumental band, no vocals, with me doubling on both bass and my Korg workstation synth.

My studio consists of a 4-Track Teac recorder and a bizillion sound modifiers, EQ's/Compressors/Effects Racks/Optimisers into both the Teac 4-Trk and a digital recorder. As soon as I can afford it I'm building a music computer that will be solely dedicated to recording/mastering/manufacturing CD's.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wow, that's quite a resume! Hang on to that Strat and those Danelectros. Might be worth serious $ someday. Closest I ever got to an actual 'band' was doing parties and such in my area. Never played a decent paying gig in my life. Mostly I just record stuff and noodle around. I do alot of "Hey, this'd make an awesome soundbed for a commercial" type stuff :wink:

If you get that music computer built - check out NTrack recording software. I use the heck out of it. Probably not the best out there, but it has a decent amount of plugins - gets the job done - and it's only 50$ for the 16 bit version, and 75$ for the 24 bit. Not bad at all.....

Well, I've derailed this thread horribly, so I'll stop rambling now.... :roll:

Here is me in Merry 'ole England, enjoying a pint in a London pub...

removed.jpg

Here is me in an outdoor pub in Bath enjoying a Pim's...

removed.jpg

Here iz me in a fish and chip shop, enjoying a nish bottle of ale...

removed.jpg

Ahnd herez me in another pub, wish anosher pint...somewhere...ish thish still England? ZZZzzzzzzz

removed.jpg